[Rarebooks] FS: Amman's KUNSTBUCHLIN, 1599, with nearly 300 full-page woodcuts, many of Horses

charles agvent agvent at erols.com
Mon Dec 22 08:53:12 EST 2003

One of nearly a dozen fine emblem books in our list of New Arrivals
just posted on our web page:  http://www.erols.com/agvent
Remember to refresh your browser if you have not visited recently.

  [EMBLEM BOOK] AMMAN, JOST. KUNSTBUCHLIN: DARINNEN NEBEN FURBILDUNG
VIELER GEISTLICHER UNND WELTLICHER HOHES UND NIDERSTANDS PERSONEN....
Frankfurt & Main: Johann Feyrabends 1599. Small quarto (5-1/2" x
7-1/2") bound in early vellum; [1] 144 pages. Illustrated with 289 (of
293, lacking Kk3 & Kk4) full-page woodcuts, nearly half of them
depicting horses with or without riders, many of whom bear arms. The
others depict a variety of subjects including kings, warriors,
ecclesiastical figures, Turks in costume, mythological and allegorical
figures, tradespeople, musicians, armorial escutcheons, etc. Laid in
at the rear is the title page of Amman's 1580 First Edition KUNNST UND
LEHRBUECHLEIN along with two engravings from that edition. A superb
collection of this prolific master's woodcuts, some of the finest
produced in the Renaissance. Born in Zurich, he established himself in
Nuremberg where he continued in the manner of Durer. Adams A-969;
Graesse I, 103. The title page and the two text leaves silked. The
plates have an occasional finger smudge but are much cleaner than one
would expect from a model book designed for use by artists. Small
repaired hole in the bottom blank margin of one page. Only three
copies of this title have sold at auction in the last 25 years; all
three were defective. This copy matches the most recent title sold in
completeness, the Walpole-Beckford copy which sold at Christie's in
1996. Very Good copy of a scarce book with intriguing plates.  $9500

--
All books subject to prior sale.  Payment with order; institutions may
be billed. Postage additional: $7.00 for the first book, $3.50 each
thereafter.  Overseas postage billed at approximate cost.
Pennsylvania residents must add 6% sales tax.  Mastercard, Visa,
American Express and Discover accepted.  We are also open to
reasonable payment terms.  A book may be returned within 7 days of
receipt for any reason provided it is in the same condition as sent
and prior notice is given.  Please insure returns for their full
value.  We carry a select and diverse stock with major specialties
including Modern and 19th Century Literary First Editions, Signed
Books & Autographs, and Limited Editions Club books.  We are proud to
be members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America
(ABAA) and the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers (ILAB)
as well as the International Autograph Dealers Alliance (IADA), the
Manuscript Society, and the Universal Autograph Collectors Club
(UACC).  Please feel free to contact us with any wants or offerings.
Thank you.

610-682-4750; FAX: 610-682-4620
agvent at erols.com
Visit our home page: http://www.erols.com/agvent