[Rarebooks] FS: Quadrins Historiques, 1558, with 300 emblem woodcuts illustrating the Bible

charles agvent agvent at erols.com
Wed Dec 24 09:40:19 EST 2003

One of nearly a dozen emblem books very recently listed on our web
page among the new arrivals: http://www.erols.com/agvent

[EMBLEM BOOK] [PARADIN, CLAUDE] AND [FONTAINE, CHARLES]. QUADRINS
HISTORIQUES DE LA BIBLE BOUND WITH FIGURES DU NOUVEAU TESTAMENT.
Lyons: Jean de Tournes 1558. Two small octavo (4-1/8" x 6-1/8") bound
together in 19th century full brown blindstamped morocco with gilt
lettering on the spine. [246]; [74] pages. First published in 1553 and
1554 respectively, the first title illustrated with 231 small emblem
woodcuts and the second title with 69 woodcuts, all attributed to
Bernard Salomon, as well as 2 designs and title borders. These
woodcuts were among the most popular Biblical illustrations of the
latter half of the 16th century. A verse in French is beneath each
emblem. OCLC locates only 4 copies of the first title and 2 of the
second. Bookplate of Mexborough on the front pastedown and a doctor's
modern bookplate on the verso of the front endpaper. One original
endpaper remains, bound between the books; the others are lacking.
Text and illustrations are complete; several pages have been trimmed
at the bottom margin to delete a manuscript name but with no loss to
text or images. Old manuscript ink notes in the margins of the first
few illustrated pages but contents otherwise clean except for an
occasional smudge. Binding with mild rubbing to spine, slightly more
to the front joint which is just developing a short split at the base.
Near Fine and quite scarce.   $7500

--
All books subject to prior sale.  Payment with order; institutions may
be billed. Postage additional: $7.00 for the first book, $3.50 each
thereafter.  Overseas postage billed at approximate cost.
Pennsylvania residents must add 6% sales tax.  Mastercard, Visa,
American Express and Discover accepted.  We are also open to
reasonable payment terms.  A book may be returned within 7 days of
receipt for any reason provided it is in the same condition as sent
and prior notice is given.  Please insure returns for their full
value.  We carry a select and diverse stock with major specialties
including Modern and 19th Century Literary First Editions, Signed
Books & Autographs, and Limited Editions Club books.  We are proud to
be members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America
(ABAA) and the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers (ILAB)
as well as the International Autograph Dealers Alliance (IADA), the
Manuscript Society, and the Universal Autograph Collectors Club
(UACC).  Please feel free to contact us with any wants or offerings.
Thank you.

610-682-4750; FAX: 610-682-4620
agvent at erols.com
Visit our home page: http://www.erols.com/agvent