[Rarebooks] fs: 4 and 20 Blackbirds, Baked in a Pie...

Joslin Hall Rare Books, ABAA office at joslinhall.com
Fri Apr 2 10:06:40 EST 2004

[Bullard, Pierre] "AVICEPTOLOGIE FRANCAISE, ou Traite General de toutes
les Ruses dont on peut se servir pour prendre les Oiseaux..."  Paris; Chez
Cussac: 1808. 5th edition. A wonderful, well-illustrated French book about
catching birds.  Sad (or not?) to say, the French fascination for
captivating avians was not purely recreational -a quick look at French
cookbooks of the period (or even today) gives more than a hint at the true
importance of catching our little feathered friends.

The 34 copper plate engravings show a wide variety of tools and devices,
snares, nets, blinds, fake bushes and trees, and even a two-man cattle
costume, that were all used to outwit local songbirds and wild fowl. The
frontispiece illustrates many of these contraptions arranged in the yard
behind a grand house, as a gentleman leaps from behind a bush in pursuit
of a pair of (rather small) songbirds.

Despite the fact that it went through 11 editions this book is not all
that common these days. Only 4 editions are listed on OCLC (no listings
for the 1808), with the 1822 and 1830 being the most numerous at 6 and 4
holdings each; the 1795 and 1854 editions are each represented by a single
copy. The ABPC records show 3 copies sold at auction in the last 25 years,
one of the 1795 edition and two copies of this, the 1808 edition.

Hardcover.  4.5"x7.5", xxiv + 312 pages, plus 34 engraved plates and an
engraved frontispiece. Bound in old-ish marbled boards and pebbled cloth;
some cover soil and wear, spine a bit faded and soiled. Internally there
is a little soil, but overall a nice copy. [29726] $450.00

Illustrations-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images/th-29726.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images/th-29726a.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images/th-29726b.jpg>

____________________________
Concord, Massachusetts 01742 USA
telephone (617) 492-5367
email <office at joslinhall.com>;
~~
Our full-service website features 82 separate subject categories, is
updated daily and has full search capabilities. http://www.joslinhall.com
~~
Subscribe to our free email News List and get special discounts and offers
on selected books! Send e-mail to
<JHRBnews- at joslinhall.com>; and put the word
"subscribe" (without quotes) in the Subject line of your note.
~~
Check out our "Featured Book"
http://www.joslinhall.com/today1.htm

accept checks, money orders, American Express, Visa, Mastercard and
Discover.
Books may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed;
Standard courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are
$5.00 for the first book, and $1.50 for each additional book.
Shipments outside the U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we
are notified within ten days of your receipt of the books-please
ask for full instructions and terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5%
state sales tax.

Subscribe to the free Rare Books Mailing List
http://www.rarebooksmailinglist.com