[Rarebooks] FS: Earliest Extant E. H. Shepard Drawings

charles agvent agvent at erols.com
Mon Apr 26 09:01:32 EDT 2004

One of 45 fine items from our list of Spring New Arrivals catalogued
for the New York Book Fair.  All 45 can be seen at
http://www.erols.com/agvent

SHEPARD, E. H. [ERNEST HOWARD]. TWO SKETCH BOOKS WITH ORIGINAL
SKETCHES BY THE CREATOR OF WINNIE THE POOH WHEN HE WAS A TEENAGER.
1895-1897. Two small canvas-covered sketchbooks with ties, full of
pencil sketches and several pen-and-ink drawings by the teen-aged
future illustrator of Winnie The Pooh. The larger book (7" x 4-7/8")
has pencilled notes and calculations referring to a Cricket match and
a note "Shepard, EH SketchingBook" in Shepard's hand on the front
pastedown. Of the 48 pages, 42 have sketches ranging from rudimentary
to detailed, some SIGNED or initialled by Shepard. Two of the sketches
are detailed pen-and-ink depictions of soldiers at camp. Subjects
include a self portrait, horses, camels, trains,churches, women, and
bridges. The smaller book (7-1/4" x 3-1/2"), unsigned but obviously by
Shepard, contains sketches of some of the same scenes as in the larger
book on 35 of 48 pages--mainly of figures and country scenes including
one of a churchyard at Wilmington dated 1895. Shepard would have been
16 to 18 years old at the time of these sketches. Shepard began
studying drawing at about this time and won a scholarship to the Royal
Academy in 1897. He began selling his drawings to magazines in 1900
and married a fellow student in 1904. His daughter Mary was born in
1909. These sketchbooks were acquired from the estate of E. V. Knox,
Mary's husband. Rare and extremely early examples of Shepard's work
executed in a confident hand and showing great promise. We believe
these to be the earliest drawings by Shepard ever offered for sale.
Very Good and quite scarce.   $25,000

--
All books subject to prior sale.  Payment with order; institutions may
be billed. Postage additional: $15.  Overseas postage billed at
approximate cost.  Pennsylvania residents must add 6% sales tax.
Mastercard, Visa, American Express and Discover accepted.  We are also
open to reasonable payment terms.  A book may be returned within 7
days of receipt for any reason provided it is in the same condition as
sent and prior notice is given.  Please insure returns for their full
value.  We carry a select and diverse stock with major specialties
including Modern and 19th Century Literary First Editions, Signed
Books & Autographs, and Limited Editions Club books.  We are proud to
be members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America
(ABAA) and the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers (ILAB)
as well as the International Autograph Dealers Alliance (IADA), the
Manuscript Society, and the Universal Autograph Collectors Club
(UACC).  Please feel free to contact us with any wants or offerings.
Thank you.

610-682-4750; FAX: 610-682-4620
agvent at erols.com
Visit our home page: http://www.erols.com/agvent