[Rarebooks] FS: Scarce Limited Edition by William Carlos Williams, Signed

Charles Agvent agvent at erols.com
Thu Aug 5 09:45:37 EDT 2004

One of a number of fine William Carlos Williams items in our list of
103 New Arrivals:  Poets & Presidents.   The list also includes many
wonderful signed books, manuscripts, photos, and letters by W. H. Auden,
Eleanor Roosevelt, Ronald Reagan, Robert Frost, and others.  Please
visit: http://www.erols.com/agvent

WILLIAMS,  William Carlos. THE WEDGE. [Cummington,  MA]:
        Cummington  Press  1944.  First Edition. Bound  in  patterned
        orange  paper  boards with a cover design from a  drawing  by
        Wightman  Williams.  Wallace A23: One of only 380 copies  set
        by hand.  Contains  the  first book publication of a  few  of
        Williams's  famous poems including "The Dance (In  Breughel's
        great picture)"  and  "A Sort of Song": "Let the  snake  wait
        under/his  weed/and the writing/be of words, slow and  quick,
        sharp/to    strike,  quiet   to   wait,/sleepless.//--through
        metaphor  to  reconcile/the people and  the  stones./Compose.
        (No ideas/but  in things) Invent!/Saxifrage is my flower that
        splits/the  rocks." Williams later said about this title in I
        WANTED  TO  WRITE A POEM (1958, p. 70): "I have  always  been
        proud of  this  book. The Introduction, written in  the  most
        forthright  prose,  is an explanation of my poetic  creed  at
        that time--for  all time as far as that goes." Though not called
for, this copy is SIGNED by  the
        poet in  his  later hand on the front endpaper. Top of  spine
        chipped  cleanly  away  about 3/8" of an inch. Still  a  Near
        Fine copy of this uncommon and fragile title.        $2500.00

--

All books subject to prior sale.  Cash with order; institutions may be billed.  Postage additional:  $7.00 for the first book, $3.50 each thereafter.  Overseas postage billed at approximate cost. Pennsylvania residents must add 6% sales tax.  Mastercard, Visa, American Express and Discover accepted.  Books may be returned within 7 days of receipt for any reason provided they are in the same condition as sent and prior notice is given. Please insure returns for their full value.  We carry a diverse stock with major specialties including Modern and 19th Century Literary First Editions, Autographed Books, and Limited Editions Club books.  We are proud to be members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America (ABAA) and the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers (ILAB) as well as the International Autograph Dealers Alliance (IADA), the Manuscript Society, and the Universal Autograph Collectors Club (UACC).  Please feel free to contact us with any wants or offerings.  Thank you.

Mertztown, PA  19539-8750
Voice/Fax: 610-682-4750
agvent at erols.com
Visit our home page:  http://www.erols.com/agvent