[Rarebooks] FS: Stevie Smith proof inscribed with large original ink and crayon drawing

Charles Agvent agvent at erols.com
Wed Aug 11 09:14:21 EDT 2004

 From our list of  103 New Arrivals:  Poets & Presidents, Part II.   The
list also includes many wonderful signed books, broadsides, and letters
by John Berryman, Jimmy Carter, Franklin Delano Roosevelt, and others.
Please visit: http://www.erols.com/agvent

SMITH,  Stevie. MOTHER, WHAT IS MAN? POEMS AND DRAWINGS.
        (London):  Jonathan  Cape (1942). First Edition.  Uncorrected
        proof in  dark blue wraps. INSCRIBED and SIGNED by the author
        in pencil  to  her close friends, writer Olivia  Manning  and
        her husband,  BBC producer Reggie Smith: "To dear  Olivia/and
        Reggie/with  love  from/Stevie."  There   are  also  numerous
        pencil   corrections  by  the   author  throughout  the  text
        regarding  both  the  poems and the drawings. Pasted  to  the
        verso of  the  last page is a corrected typed  manuscript  of
        Smith's  poem  "Christmas," which is not listed in the  table
        of contents   but  which  was   eventually  included  in  the
        published  volume  of  this title. Also on the  verso  of  an
        unrelated  8-1/2"  x  11" letter stapled to the  inside  rear
        cover is  a large ORIGINAL DRAWING by Stevie Smith in ink and
        crayon.  Not  having a copy of the finished book, we  do  not
        know if  it  appears there, but it is highly likely  that  it
        does. Very Good and absolutely unique!               $3500.00

--

All books subject to prior sale.  Cash with order; institutions may be billed.  Postage additional:  $7.00 for the first book, $3.50 each thereafter.  Overseas postage billed at approximate cost. Pennsylvania residents must add 6% sales tax.  Mastercard, Visa, American Express and Discover accepted.  Books may be returned within 7 days of receipt for any reason provided they are in the same condition as sent and prior notice is given. Please insure returns for their full value.  We carry a diverse stock with major specialties including Modern and 19th Century Literary First Editions, Autographed Books, and Limited Editions Club books.  We are proud to be members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America (ABAA) and the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers (ILAB) as well as the International Autograph Dealers Alliance (IADA), the Manuscript Society, and the Universal Autograph Collectors Club (UACC).  Please feel free to contact us with any wants or offerings.  Thank you.

Mertztown, PA  19539-8750
Voice/Fax: 610-682-4750
agvent at erols.com
Visit our home page:  http://www.erols.com/agvent