[Rarebooks] fs: Baby, You make me BURN... Spontaneous Human Combustion

Joslin Hall Rare Books office at joslinhall.com
Fri Aug 27 08:54:12 EDT 2004

Two interesting books on the burning issue
of Spontaneous Human Combustion...

Lair, Pierre-Aime. ESSAI SUR LES COMBUSTIONS HUMAINES, produits par un long
abus des liqueurs spiritueuses. Paris; Chez Gabon: 1800. An early
discussion of Spontaneous Human Combustion, citing various cases such as
that of the Countess Bandi. Lair appears to have drawn much of his material
from period journals such as the Annual Register and the Memoirs of the
Royal Society; he also quotes from Le Cat. He supports the then-prevalent
view that the phenomena was linked to excessive, prolonged alcohol abuse.
There was another edition in 1823. OCLC locates 14 listings for this
edition. Softcover. 4.5"x7", 100 pages, bound in newer plain paper covers;
a nice, clan, wide-margined copy. [03574] $1,200.00

Oliver, John Rathbone. SPONTANEOUS COMBUSTION. A Literary Curiosity.
Chicago; The Argus Book Shop: 1937. Edition limited to 350 copies. An odd
and engaging discussion of the literature concerning spontaneous human
combustion, taking as it start a controversial episode of this phenomena in
Charles Dickens' "Bleak House". Dickens insisted that he was simply
describing a natural phenomenon which he had read about in medical
journals, and Oliver examines this assertion, examining three older books-
Dutch, German and French, written between 1757 and 1805 which deal with
spontaneous combustion, as well as other 19th century periodical
appearances. Not a book for the queasy. Hardcover. 6"x9", 27 pages, 4 b/w
plates; slight cover soil; spine covering perished, as is so often seen
with this book. [03390] $125.00

Post Office Box 516, Concord, Massachusetts 01742 USA
telephone (617) 492-5367
email <office at joslinhall.com>;
~~
Our full-service website features 82 separate subject
categories, is updated daily and has full search
capabilities. http://www.joslinhall.com
~~
Subscribe to our free email News List and get special
discounts and offers on selected books! Send e-mail to
<JHRBnews- at joslinhall.com>; and put the word
"subscribe" (without quotes) in the Subject line of your note.
~~
Check out our "Featured Book"
http://www.joslinhall.com/today1.htm

All payments must be in U.S. funds and negotiable through a U.S. bank;
We accept checks, money orders, American Express, Visa and Mastercard.
Books may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed;
Standard courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges
are $5.00 for the first book, and $1.50 for each additional book.
Shipments outside the U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns
if we are notified within ten days of your receipt of the books-please
ask for full instructions and terms. Massachusetts residents must add
5% state sales tax.

As members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of
America we are committed to upholding high professional
standards and making sure your bookbuying experience is
enjoyable.

Subscribe to the free Rare Books Mailing List
http://www.rarebooksmailinglist.com