[Rarebooks] Sun Tzu on the art of war: Tony Soprano's favorite book

Knigi at aol.com Knigi at aol.com
Sun Feb 1 12:43:24 EST 2004

    Sunzi (Sun Tzu, Sonshi), 6th century BC
    The book of war: The military classic of the Far East
    London: John Murray, 1908

¶ The FIRST ENGLISH EDITION OF SUN TZU ON THE ART OF WAR, to which are added
“The sayings of Wutzu” (pages 75-119), ie Wuzi bing fa by Wu Qi (440-381 BC),
and a detailed index of subjects. VERY SCARCE.

Even Tony Soprano reads Sun Tzu: In April of 2001 he told Dr Melfi, "[I've]
been reading that book you told me about: The art of war, by Sun Tzu. I mean,
here's this guy, a Chinese general, wrote this thing twenty-four hundred years
ago, and most of it still applies today: 'Balk the enemy’s power.' 'Force him
to reveal himself.' . . . You know, most of the guys I know, they read Prince
Matchabelli [sic] -- and I had Carmela go and get the Cliff[s] Notes once, and
he's okay --; but this book is *much better* about strategy."  (The Sopranos
iii.8, 15 April 2001.)

Now $130.00:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3700167084

Jay Dillon  Rare Books + Manuscripts