[Rarebooks] John Galt

Mark Stirling bookworm at tahoesnow.com
Fri Feb 13 19:03:39 EST 2004

For Sale from Up-Country Letters, South Lake Tahoe, California:

Galt, John.      The Works of John Galt, in Ten Volumes.  Edinburgh: John Grant, 1936.  First 10 volume edition.  Original red cloth, gilt, top edges stained red, others uncut, original printed dust jackets.  Laid paper.  "In the main a reprint of the edition of eight volumes, edited by Mr. D. Stovar Meldrum, published by Messrs. William Blackwood and Son in 1895-96..."  In the present edition Mr. Meldrum's "Memoir of the Author" is retained, as are the introductions contributed by S.R. (Samuel Rutherford) Crockett to the respective stories.  I have added two volumes to include Galt's fine Covenanting romance, Ringan Gilhaize,.......I have revised and extended the existing glossary....A fresh attraction is provided by the illustrations from the drawings of C.E. Brock...." (from the preface of William Roughead).  Watson (NCBEL, v.3, 1969) lists the 1895 set as 10 volumes and this one as 8, a misprint.  Bateson (CBEL, v.3, 1940, 1969 printing) notes this edition but not the earlier one.  A Very Good set with soiled, chipped but sound jackets, one water-stained.     $275.

Another copy:  top edges gilt, others uncut. Fore-edges foxed.  Fine in very good jackets.  $350.

Up-Country Letters is a rare bookselling concern operated by Mark Stirling.  We specialize in Nineteenth Century American and English Literature with an emphasis on Transcendentalism;   Emerson, Thoreau, and their friends and associates.  Most of our inventory may be seen on-line at www.abebooks.com.

   Any item may be returned within 10 days if found to be unsatisfactory.  Postage is extra and items will be shipped at cost.  Payment may be made by most of the major credit cards and personal checks are welcome.

Up-Country Letters,   P.O. Box 550367,  South Lake Tahoe, California  96155
(530) 577-2089                 bookworm at tahoesnow.com