[Rarebooks] Wittgenstein's BLUE & BROWN BOOKS

Schaberg at aol.com Schaberg at aol.com
Tue Feb 17 11:51:13 EST 2004

LUDWIG WITTGENSTEIN, Preliminary Studies of the 'Philosophical
Investigations', Generally know as THE BLUE & BROWN BOOKS, Basil Blackwell, Oxford, 1958.
Half-title + TP + v-xiv + half-title + [1]-185 + 1 blank leaf, Octavo.
(Frongia/McGuiness "B.B.B." p. 43.)

$200.

FIRST EDITION.

The third posthumously published book by Wittgenstein, the important Blue &
Brown Books, which he dictated - in English - as a set of notes to his student
in 1934-1935. At the time, both books circulated widely in typescript and the
new ideas contained in them began to create a stir.

"The Blue Book is clear and lively and is perhaps the beginner's best
introduction to Wittgenstein. Nevertheless, it is a comparatively superficial work;
Wittgenstein never regarded it as more than a set of class notes. The Brown
Book, on the other hand, he regarded for a short time as a draft of something
that might be published. He worked at a revision but gave it up in 1936 when he
began to write the Philosophical Investigations."

Dust jacket sunned and darkened on the spine, the spine of the book itself is
a bit sunned at top where the dust jacket is frayed and worn. Otherwise, a
very clean and tight copy.

PHOTOS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST.

William H. Schaberg
Athena Rare Books
424 Riverside Drive
Fairfield CT 06824 USA

ph: 203-254-3125
fax: 203-254-3518
schaberg at aol.com

All items are offered subject to prior sale. All items are guaranteed as
described. We are willing to hold items for seven days. Items for any reason
unsatisfactory may be returned within ten days of receipt, with prior notice. Any
returns must be well packaged and sent in a traceable manner. Additional
insurance is not required for a return shipment. We accept checks (in U.S. currency)
and wire transfers. Connecticut residents please add appropriate sales tax.
Payment in advance is required for first time clients. We can offer deferred
billing to institutions. Shipping is not included in the book price. Minimum
domestic ground shipping is $5.00, with larger orders at cost. International air
and surface shipments at cost. Title to all material remains with Athena Rare
Books until receipt of payment in full.