[Rarebooks] fs: 300 million is a crowd... (Nicely bound 1826 Malthus)

Joslin Hall Rare Books, ABAA office at joslinhall.com
Thu Feb 19 12:08:59 EST 2004

Malthus, T.R.

AN ESSAY ON THE PRINCIPLE OF POPULATION; or, a View of its Past and
Present Effects on Human Happiness; with an inquiry into our prospects
respecting the future removal or mitigation of the evils which it
occasions.

London; John Murray: 1826.
6th Edition.

The last edition of Malthus' famous work to be published during his
lifetime. The work was first published anonymously in 1798, and revised
every few years afterwards. The first American edition was published in
1809. Malthus' influence on social policy over the past two centuries is
undeniable, whether you agree or disagree with him. His own viewpoints
actually changed over time, his gloomy conclusion in the first edition
that starvation and widespread contagions were inevitable giving way in
subsequent editions to plans for the possibilities of combating them
through social policy.

Hardcover. 2 volumes. 5.5"x9", xiv + 535, + iv + 528 pages; bound by
Riviere in very handsome period-style full polished speckled calf with a
gilt Greek Key design bordering the covers, an elaborate design of scrolls
and medallions on the spine, and green leather spine labels. Gilt
dentelles and marbled endpapers. All edges gilt. This set was
deaccessioned from the Mary Rawson Amen Collection at Phillips Exeter
Academy and has a small bookplate on the pastedown, a small "discard"
stamp on the blank endpaper, and a small blindstamp on the title page.
Volume 1 has evidently had a slightly larger bookplate removed from the
front pastedown. The condition of the set is fine and brilliantly clean,
with little wear or soil evident anywhere. A handsomely bound, beautifully
preserved set. [00740] $1,100.00

Illustration- <http://www.joslinhall.com/images/th-00740.jpg>

____________________________
Concord, Massachusetts 01742 USA
telephone (617) 492-5367
email <office at joslinhall.com>;
~~
Our full-service website features 82 separate subject categories, is
updated daily and has full search capabilities. http://www.joslinhall.com
~~
Subscribe to our free email News List and get special discounts and offers
on selected books! Send e-mail to
<JHRBnews- at joslinhall.com>; and put the word
"subscribe" (without quotes) in the Subject line of your note.
~~
Check out our "Featured Book"
http://www.joslinhall.com/today1.htm

All payments must be in U.S. funds and negotiable through a U.S. bank;
We accept checks, money orders, American Express, Visa, Mastercard and
Discover.
Books may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed;
Standard courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are
$5.00 for the first book, and $1.50 for each additional book.
Shipments outside the U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we
are notified within ten days of your receipt of the books-please
ask for full instructions and terms. Massachusetts residents must add
5% state sales tax.

Subscribe to the free Rare Books Mailing List
http://www.rarebooksmailinglist.com