[Rarebooks] Rope 'em and quote 'em

Philip R. Bishop tbmosher at comcast.net
Mon Jan 12 16:08:56 EST 2004

Dear folks:

Greeting at the beginning of 2004. You must admit, I've certainly restrained myself over the past couple months with regard to postings for QUOTES for the Mosher stuff. In all honesty though, that was partly because some wonderful material was quoted just a month ago at the end of November/beginning of December of last year, and what amazing material it is, including 1sts of Dickens' Christmas stories which Mosher, as a mere lad of 14, purchased and inscribed in Hamburg, Germany just before his father, Capt. Benjamin Mosher, and the rest of the family sailed around the world aboard the clipper ship, the Nor'Wester. There was also a bundle of "family papers" quoted from the West Coast, all letters, inscribed books, and related material sent by Mosher to a dear friend. There were also several fine bindings quoted, all of which now reside on the shelves of the Mosher collection.

So the end of 2003 was more like the fireworks of July 4, and I didn't have the time or the $$$ to ask for more quotes while all this was going on. Quite frankly I'm still in a bit of a bind in paying off this marvelous stuff, but now that I'm beginning to see my way clear once again, I'm putting out this message, especially since I just netted two more items from fellow dealers:  one is an extra-illustrated copy of Sonnets from the Portuguese (fourteen extra watercolor illustrations) and the other a copy of another Old World Series book inscribed by two publishers. So they keep on coming, and I keep on buying if it's worthy material. Again, here's what I'm always looking for:

MOSHER BOOKS WANTS LIST
(Print out and save)

MOSHER BOOKS began in February 1991 as a retail book firm for selective antiquarian books of all kinds; however, we do also stock books from the firm's namesake -- the Portland, Maine publisher, Thomas Bird Mosher. The firm's owner maintains a personal collection of books from and related to The Mosher Press. The following list contains his collecting interests and the interests of a few clients.
(January 12, 2004)

WANTS AT A GLANCE, PLEASE QUOTE

--> Mosher books in fine highly decorated full leather signed bindings
--> Books from Mosher's library with his bookplate or inscription
--> Letters to / from Thomas Bird Mosher
--> Mosher books printed on real vellum, not Japan vellum
--> Extra-illustrated copies of the Mosher books
In addition to the books listed below, I'm particularly interested in quotes on unusual Mosher book or related material. Unusual means:
signed / inscribed copies
books from Mosher's library
letters to Mosher
books inscribed to Mosher
boxed sets (already have eight, so check with me first)
EXTRA FINE BINDINGS on Mosher Books
photographs / pictures
home / office articles
original designer art work
press pulls
book mock-ups
printer's type ornaments
manuscripts
printer's dummies
diaries / desk calendars
Roman vellum books (see below)
autograph letters signed
notebooks / scrapbooks
extra-illustrated copies
autograph notes signed Flora Lamb
anything related to Aimee Lenalie

Also seeking T. B. Mosher's personal set of Bell's British Theatre, 34 vols. British Library / Strand, [1790-1799]. 18mo.; bound in calf; with the name "J. Sonntag" written in it (I'm probably the only one who knows in what volumes the name appears so I'll know the authentic set when I see it).

Here are the titles (apha order) I'm still looking for:

THE BIBELOT Japan vellum copies only, including individual volumes from 1895-1915.

GOLDEN WINGS; SVEND AND HIS BRETHERN William Morris (Reprints from the Bibelot), 1900. 1/35 Japan vellum.

HOMEWARD: SONGS BY THE WAY A. E. (Miscellaneous Series), 1895 (Japan vellum copy only).

KENT, ROCKWELL, substituted a new title page with an original illustration for none other than a Mosher book. Find the copy of the Old World Series: Mosher's Tristan and Iseult, 1923. Small octavo, the Mosher Press edition of 1922, with title page and binding removed, an inserted title page or colophon saying printed at the Lakeside Press under the supervision of Wm A. Kittredge, and bound there in full maroon niger and binding design by Kent stamped in gold.

LIST OF BOOKS, MDCCCXCIV - List of Books Issued in Limited Editions, 1894.

LITTLE WILLIE Eugene Field (Boston: Privately Printed), 1904.

IN MEASURED LANGUAGE E. C. Cummings (Privately Printed), 1899.

IN MEMORIAM [Jane Anne Bell] (Privately Printed for Arthur Sewall), 1917.

MEMORIES OF PRESIDENT LINCOLN Whitman (Miscellaneous Series) 1912. 1/10 on Roman vellum bound in classic vellum.

PEARL: Rendered into Modern English Verse S. Weir Mitchell (Privately Printed), 1908.

RUBÁIYÁT (Privately Printed), 1899. 1/10 on vellum.

VENETIAN SERIES Any Japan vellum except Siena, Wilde's The Sphinx, and A Masque of Dead Florentines unless in very fine condition.

VERSES AND A DREAM Printed for Josephine B. Pressey (Privately Printed), 1922. 1/3 copies

WORKS OF ARTHUR SYMONS: A Bibliographical Note T.B.M. (Privately Printed), 1912. 1/5 copies.
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

PLEASE NOTE: Of the Mosher books printed on animal vellum, I am NOT seeking any of those from what is called the "Lyric Garland Series," unless it is somehow VERY distinctive.

Well that's it for now folks. I'll be in touch again, to be sure, but in the inimitable song words of Roy Rogers and Dale Evans, "...until... we meet... a--gain," keep dem quotes a'commin'

Cheers! ya'all,
Phil
Philip R. Bishop
MOSHER BOOKS,    member ABAA / ILAB
P. O. Box 111
Millersville, PA  17551-0111        U.S.A.
717-872-9209
tbmosher at comcast.net