[Rarebooks] fs: Two, Four, One Hundred-Eight , Gems for the Initiate... 1863

Joslin Hall Rare Books, ABAA office at joslinhall.com
Thu Jan 29 17:24:23 EST 2004

Vallentin, James. ONE HUNDRED & EIGHT ENGRAVINGS FROM ANTIQUE GEMS IN THE
POSSESSION OF VARIOUS COLLECTORS.

Walthamstow: 1863.

"The plates were formerly the property of the Grace Family but now belong
to James Vallentin, who publishes them for his friends to whom they are
respectfully presented".

This is a very odd item, indeed. The plates are from Thomas Worlidge's "A
Select Collection of Drawings from Curious Antique Gems; most of them in
the possession of the nobility and gentry of this kingdom; etched after
the manner of Rembrandt", published in London in 1768 and 1780.

Sinkankas devotes a long entry to the history and confusing bibliographic
description of Worlidge's original work, which was first published in
1768, printed on satin and without any text. The first edition with text
was the 1780 edition (still bearing the 1768 date). Although some scholars
have criticized the engravings as being not accurate representations of
the gems involved, others contend that this mannerism by the artist has
created a charming and very period piece of art in itself.

The Grace family republished the plates in a private edition in 1823, as
noted by Sinkankas, but Sinkankas, that most comprehensive of
bibliographers, evidently never saw a copy of this edition, nor ever heard
of it. There is a single copy located on OCLC. A scarce work.

Hardcover. 7.5"x10", title page plus 108 engraved plates; original coarse
cloth with gilt title; a little cover wear and rubbing, contents with a
little minor soil, a slight split in the cloth at the top of the spine,
running an inch, but overall a very nice copy. [02189] $750.00

Illustration-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images/th-02189.jpg>

____________________________
Concord, Massachusetts 01742 USA
telephone (617) 492-5367
email <office at joslinhall.com>;
~~
Our full-service website features 82 separate subject categories, is
updated daily and has full search capabilities. http://www.joslinhall.com
~~
Subscribe to our free email News List and get special discounts and offers
on selected books! Send e-mail to
<JHRBnews- at joslinhall.com>; and put the word
"subscribe" (without quotes) in the Subject line of your note.
~~
Check out our "Featured Book"
http://www.joslinhall.com/today1.htm

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for
the first book, and $1.50 for each additional book.
Shipments outside the U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we
are notified within ten days of your receipt of the books-please
ask for full instructions and terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5%
state sales tax.

Subscribe to the free Rare Books Mailing List
http://www.rarebooksmailinglist.com