[Rarebooks] fs-Law of Insurance

Joe Luttrell rarelaw at meyerbos.com
Tue Jul 13 23:14:29 EDT 2004

A selection of works which we have in stock on the law of
insurance and related subjects; for others, please feel free to
browse our web site, where you may search our entire inventory by
any word or phrase: www.meyerbos.com

1.  [BRANDEIS, LOUIS D.].  To the Policy Holders of the Equitable
Life Assurance Society. Not in Mersky.  Office of Protective
Committee, Boston, 1905.  Four pages (one sheet, folded), a
well-preserved copy. [71418] PHOTO:
http://www.meyerbos.com/bookListing.cgi?bookNo=71418     $ 650.00

The rare, ?unrecorded first report of the Committee which had
retained Brandeis as its counsel, making him "the people's advocate
in life insurance matters" and leading to the reforms he considered
his greatest achievement; no copy in OCLC or RLIN.

2.  LALLEY, Edward P.  Corporate Uncertainty and Risk Management.
Risk Management Society Publishing, New York, 1982.  Presentation
copy, in a slightly worn dustjacket. [30574]              $ 25.00

3.  NIBLACK, William C.  The Law of Voluntary Societies and Mutual
Benefit Insurance.  Callaghan & Company, Chicago, 1888.
Contemporary sheep, quite rubbed; a usable copy only. [50911
L36L46L66] PHOTO:
http://www.meyerbos.com/bookListing.cgi?bookNo=50911     $ 125.00

First edition of what is seemingly the first work of its kind in
American law, initially treating of 'voluntary', 'friendly' or
'benevolent' societies generally, then focusing on their important
function in providing mutual benefit insurance.

4.  PARSONS, Theophilus.  The Elements of Mercantile Law. Cohen
2439.  Little, Brown and Company, Boston, 1856.  Original sheep,
somewhat rubbed, light staining; a good copy. [67800 L72] PHOTO:
http://www.meyerbos.com/bookListing.cgi?bookNo=67800     $ 350.00

First edition of one of the major works of the Dane Professor of
Law at Harvard whom Holmes described as "gifted with a power of
impressive statement which I do not know that I have ever seen
equalled"; with chapters on shipping and marine insurance.

5.  SCHAFFTER, Dorothy.  "War" in Life Insurance Contracts:
Judicial Interpretation of Its Meaning 1945-1975.  Exposition
Press, Hicksville, 1976.  A good copy in a rather faded dustjacket.
[30254]                                                   $ 65.00

6.  SCULLY, C. Alison.  Insurance Trusts, A Manual for Attorneys
and Life Underwriters.  National Bank of Commerce, New York, 1927.
Tan buckram, a well-preserved copy. [30970]               $ 35.00

7.  SHAPIRO, E. Donald, et al. (eds.).  Protection for the Traffic
Victim: The Keeton-O'Connell Plan and Its Critics.  Institute of
Continuing Legal Education, Ann Arbor, 1967.  Orange cloth, a sound
copy. [30897]                                             $ 35.00

8.  UNGERLEIDER, Harry E.  Life Insurance and Medicine, The
Prognosis and Underwriting of Disease.  Charles C. Thomas,
Springfield, 1958.  [100198]                              $ 40.00

Original green buckram, gilt, a clean and sound ex-library copy.

9.  WIDISS, Alan I., et al.  No-Fault Automobile Insurance in
Action, The Experiences in Massachusetts, Florida, Delaware and
Michigan.  Oceana Publications, Inc., Dobbs Ferry, 1977.  [60391
L52L53L56]                                                $ 35.00

Four reports issued under the auspices of the Council on
Law-Related Studies, whose president, David Cavers, contributes a
foreword and is co-author of the Massachusetts' investigation.

****************************
 Meyer Boswell Books, Inc.
 Rare and Scholarly Law Exclusively
 2141 Mission Street
 San Francisco CA 94110
 415 255 6400
 415 255 6499 FAX
 rarelaw at meyerbos.com
 www.meyerbos.com

 Member, Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America
 and the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers