[Rarebooks] fs: Mental Excitement Led Them Astray @ Concord & Lexington...

Joslin Hall Rare Books, ABAA office at joslinhall.com
Thu Jul 22 17:10:33 EDT 2004

Their "mental excitement" may have led them
astray on our Just Catalogued pages-
 <http://www.joslinhall.com/justcat.htm>

Coburn, Frank Warren. THE BATTLE OF APRIL 19, 1775, IN LEXINGTON, CONCORD,
LINCOLN, ARLINGTON, CAMBRIDGE, SOMERVILLE AND CHARLESTOWN, MASSACHUSETTS.
Lexington; published by the author: 1912. The first serious study of the
April 19th battles to include extensive material on the battles in
Arlington, Cambridge, Somerville and Charlestown as well as Lexington and
Concord. The author based his narrative "upon official reports, sworn
statements, diaries, letters, and narratives of participants and
witnesses; upon accounts of local historians and national orators; and, in
a few cases, upon tradition, if such seemed authentic and trustworthy".
Working with facts, however, can be a tricky business, as Coburn explains-

    "I am sorry to say, that in more than one instance, I have found even
the sworn statements at variances with each other. I am satisfied that
the authors did not intend to mislead in any way, but simply tried to
tell to others what appeared to them. Their mental excitement
naturally added a little of that vivid coloring noticeable in most war
narratives of a personal nature. My work has been to harmonize and
simplify these, and to extract simply the truth".

A new edition was published in 1922. Hardcover. 5.5"x8.5", xvi + 171
pages, plus 6 maps, 4 plates and 3 portraits; publisher's blue cloth with
gilt titles; a few spots, a little soil, but overall a very nice, bright
copy. [05781] $85.00

Illustration-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images03/th-05781.jpg>

More Books on Americana-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/american.htm>

____________________________
Concord, Massachusetts 01742 USA
telephone (617) 492-5367
email <office at joslinhall.com>;
~~
Our full-service website features 82 separate subject categories, is
updated daily and has full search capabilities. http://www.joslinhall.com
~~
Subscribe to our free email News List and get special discounts and offers
on selected books! Send e-mail to
<JHRBnews- at joslinhall.com>; and put the word
"subscribe" (without quotes) in the Subject line of your note.
~~
Check out our "Featured Book"
http://www.joslinhall.com/today1.htm

accept checks, money orders, American Express, Visa, Mastercard and
Discover.
Books may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed;
Standard courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are
$5.00 for the first book, and $1.50 for each additional book.
Shipments outside the U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we
are notified within ten days of your receipt of the books-please
ask for full instructions and terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5%
state sales tax.

Subscribe to the free Rare Books Mailing List
http://www.rarebooksmailinglist.com