[Rarebooks] FS: Signed Herbert Hoover

Back Creek Books admin at backcreekbooks.com
Tue Mar 2 11:52:04 EST 2004

Greetings All,

For your consideration:
~
(No. 6745 )  Hoover, Herbert. THE CHALLENGE TO LIBERTY (INSCRIBED, ALONG
WITH TWO SIGNED LETTERS).
New York: Charles Scribner's Sons, 1934. First printing/review copy, Full
cloth, Octavo, [iv], 212 pages. Near fine, No dust jacket.
      In the book former president Hoover criticizes the encroachments on
individual liberty he sees in the "New Deal." INSCRIBED and SIGNED by the
former president on front free endpaper: "To Charles J. Stephenson [sic] Jr.
/ with the Kind Regards of / Herbert Hoover." Stevenson was then the editor
of the Washington County Post in Cambridge, New York. This is a review copy
of the book with the publisher's stamp on front free endpaper indicating
publication date (September 28th, 1934), and warning editors against
publishing reviews or stories prior to that date. Bound in red cloth over
boards with gilt stamped spine and upper board lettering. Minor edge wear,
slight darkening of gilt on spine otherwise clean and tight copy. Also
offered with this signed copy of the book are two signed Hoover letters on
his personal stationery. Both are addressed to the aforementioned Mr.
Stevenson: (Letter #1) Dated March 28, 1936, thanking Stevenson for his
"kind letter of March 9" and stating that it "will be a pleasure to
autograph the copy of the Challenge" [see above]. Hoover politely declines,
however, to write an article apparently solicited by Stevenson for his
newspaper stating that "If I started in to write special articles I would
have no time for anything else. I have spent my energies in those directions
in delivering major addresses on the New Deal, and I am now preparing
another which I will deliver in Fort Wayne, Indiana, on April 4. / Yours
faithfully, / Herbert Hoover [signed]". Single 7.25" x 10" sheet, folded
twice. Signed in black ink. Paper faintly yellowed. (Letter #2) Dated
September 20, 1937 at the Waldorf Astoria, New York City, again mentioning
autographing a book and apparently referring to another request by Stevenson
for an article. This time Hoover consents, though he still sounds rather
loath to spend much time or thought on it. He states, "If you will notify me
just before the time of publication of your special number I will try and
send some short word on the subject. / Yours faithfully, / Herbert Hoover
[signed]". Single 7.25" x 10" sheet, folded twice and in original
transmissal envelope with Hoover's return address at the Waldorf. Signed in
dark blue ink, with slight smudge to "Hoover" in the signature.    $450.00
See photo: http://www.backcreekbooks.com/bookphotos/6745.jpg

=:::=:::=T E R M S=:::=:::=
All books fully guaranteed and returnable if not as described. Normal
domestic shipping $3.50 for the first book, $1.00 each additional book or
volume. International shipments or other carriers at cost. Payment accepted
by credit card (V,MC,Amex, Discover), check, money order, or PayPal.

Thank you for your interest.

Best regards,

Rock Toews
Back Creek Books
Post Office Box 3540, Annapolis, MD 21403, U.S.A.
Tel. 410-626-1363 or 877-896-2669 (toll free), Fax. 815-425-8542
Web: http://www.backcreekbooks.com  ~  Email: admin at backcreekbooks.com
--
Military & Naval History, Americana, Nautical & Maritime, Marylandiana
 ~ New arrivals: http://www.backcreekbooks.com/index.html