[Rarebooks] FS: Bacon's Advancement and Proficiencie of Learning, 1674

charles agvent agvent at erols.com
Thu Mar 4 11:47:02 EST 2004

Another item from our February list.  Our March list will be posted
late next week.

BACON, FRANCIS. OF THE ADVANCEMENT AND PROFICIENCIE OF LEARNING: OR
THE PARTITIONS OF SCIENCES NINE BOOKS.. London: Thomas Williams 1674.
Second Edition. Large quarto (7-1/2" x 11-1/2") bound in contemporary
calf with gilt decoration on the spine. First published in 1640, this
is the Second Complete Edition in English of Bacon's DE AUGMENTIS
SCIENTIARUM. The most broadly comprehensive and humane of his
philosophic works and, along with the ESSAYS, Bacon's greatest example
of English prose. Engraved portrait of Bacon (unsigned); [A]-[K]4,
[L]2, A-Z4, Aa-Vv3. Lacking initial and final blanks; all else
present. The portrait is nearly detached; the verso of the last leaf,
the colophon, is partly adhered to the rear pastedown with no loss of
text. A mostly faint dampstain is on the outer margins to varying
degrees of about half the text pages; otherwise, the text is clean.
Owner name of Thos. Robinson 1806 on the title page in the upper
margin; 1937 name on the front pastedown. The calf is rubbed with some
chipping; the spine label is lacking though its imprint is still
fairly clear. The rear joint is split but the cords are strong and the
covers tight. Very Good   $750

--
All books subject to prior sale.  Payment with order; institutions may
be billed. Postage additional: $10.  Overseas postage billed at
approximate cost.  Pennsylvania residents must add 6% sales tax.
Mastercard, Visa, American Express and Discover accepted.  We are also
open to reasonable payment terms.  A book may be returned within 7
days of receipt for any reason provided it is in the same condition as
sent and prior notice is given.  Please insure returns for their full
value.  We carry a select and diverse stock with major specialties
including Modern and 19th Century Literary First Editions, Signed
Books & Autographs, and Limited Editions Club books.  We are proud to
be members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America
(ABAA) and the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers (ILAB)
as well as the International Autograph Dealers Alliance (IADA), the
Manuscript Society, and the Universal Autograph Collectors Club
(UACC).  Please feel free to contact us with any wants or offerings.
Thank you.

610-682-4750; FAX: 610-682-4620
agvent at erols.com
Visit our home page: http://www.erols.com/agvent