[Rarebooks] fs: The Babbler, The Reprover, The Disputer (1814)

Joslin Hall Rare Books, ABAA office at joslinhall.com
Thu Mar 11 16:57:26 EST 2004

[Bordelon, Abbe Laurent]. THE MANAGEMENT OF THE TONGUE...

Boston; Published by Isaiah Thomas, Jun.; John Elliot, Printer: 1814. 2nd
edition.

The first "Theophrastan" character-study to be published in America.
Theophrastus, a student of Aristotle and famous scientist and author in
his own right, wrote a series of character studies of Athenians which has
been used as an inspiration by modern authors since at least the 16th
century. Theophrastan character studies, while generally sharp-edged and
with satiric overtones, are usually not overtly satirical.

"The Management of the Tongue" was written by the Abbe Laurent Bordelon
[1653-1730] and first published in France in 1705. It includes such
characters as The Babbler, The Silent Man, The Droll, The Jester, The
Disputer, The Swearer, The Reprover, The Adviser and many more. He also
includes a chapter on conversation in general, and the Language of Love,
and focuses his text on self-help- "The reader will not find here any
metaphysical abstractions, any advices more spiritual than practicable,
nor any idea of a perfection so sublime, that men do commonly despair to
attain to them. This book contains nothing but familiar truths, and such
practices as are not above the reach of those who will make trial of
them... I writ this book, and this book improves me every day. The more I
reflect on what it contains, the more I polish and perfect myself".

The first English edition was printed in 1706 and the first American
edition in 1783. There are Isaiah Thomas Jr. editions of 1813, 1814, and
1817. OCLC locates 10 copies of this, the 1814 edition.

Hardcover, 3.75"x6.5", 250 pages; bound in the original publisher's blue
paper-covered boards, boards very rubbed, some soil; spine partially
perished along the head and base; front hinge split and hanging on by two
cords; scattered light to moderate internal foxing. Embossed stamp of the
American Antiquarian Society, and embossed "duplicate sold" stamp of the
A.A.S. [04920] $200.00

Illustration-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images03/th-04920.jpg>

____________________________
Concord, Massachusetts 01742 USA
telephone (617) 492-5367
email <office at joslinhall.com>;
~~
Our full-service website features 82 separate subject categories, is
updated daily and has full search capabilities. http://www.joslinhall.com
~~
Subscribe to our free email News List and get special discounts and offers
on selected books! Send e-mail to
<JHRBnews- at joslinhall.com>; and put the word
"subscribe" (without quotes) in the Subject line of your note.
~~
Check out our "Featured Book"
http://www.joslinhall.com/today1.htm

All payments must be in U.S. funds and negotiable through a U.S. bank;
We accept checks, money orders, American Express, Visa, Mastercard and
Discover.
Books may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed;
Standard courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are
$5.00 for the first book, and $1.50 for each additional book.
Shipments outside the U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we
are notified within ten days of your receipt of the books-please
ask for full instructions and terms. Massachusetts residents must add
5% state sales tax.

Subscribe to the free Rare Books Mailing List
http://www.rarebooksmailinglist.com