[Rarebooks] fs: Rococo & Netsuke & Kunzite, oh my!!

Joslin Hall Rare Books, ABAA office at joslinhall.com
Wed Mar 24 13:45:35 EST 2004

>From our latest printed list-
"A FEW OF MY FAVORITE THINGS"

To request a free copy of the list, please send us your mailing address
(not your email address).  To receive *first* notice of our new printed
lists, sign up for the Joslin Hall Rare Books News List-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/newslist.htm>

Kimball, Fiske. "THE CREATION OF THE ROCOCO"  Philadelphia Museum of Art:
1943. "Kimball focuses on visual analysis of form and ornament. After
carefully dating and documenting drawings, engravings, and interior
decoration, he concludes that the new development in design was wholly
French. Its early creators were Jean Berain and Pierre Lepautre, and
Juste-Aurele Messonier and Nicholas Pineau gave it a mature asymmetrical
character." (Ames & Ward). Although Kimball does relate the French Rococo
movement to German and English designs and designers, this work is focused
on the French practitioners of the style and their works. Hardcover.
9"x12", 242 pages plus 274 b/w illustrations; covers with light soil, a
little wear, but a nice copy. Inked note on the endpaper- "given to ENP by
Fiske Kimball". [04386] $275.00

Kinsey, Miriam. "CONTEMPORARY NETSUKE"  Rutland; Charles Tuttle: 1983. 2nd
ptg. A beautiful and informative study of the art of the modern Japanese
netsuke carver. Kinsey examines the work of modern carvers and the way
they pursue their craft, watches a netsuke being carved, and illustrates
108 modern netsuke in striking color photographs. She also provides brief
biographies and signatures marks of 108 carvers, and more detailed
biographies of 27 leading artists. Hardcover. 7.5"x10.5", 261 pages, 108
color and 50 b/w illustrations, plus 110 signatures; dj. A beautiful copy.
[05092] $200.00

Conklin, Lawrence H. "NOTES AND COMMENTARIES ON LETTERS TO GEORGE F. KUNZ.
Correspondence from various sources, including Clarence S. Bement, with
facsimiles"  New Canaan; Tiffany & Co.: 1987. For students of American
gemology the name George Frederick Kunz needs no introduction. For others,
suffice it to say he was probably the most important figure in American
gemology in the first decades of the 20th century. In 1977 Lawrence
Conklin purchased an archive of most of Kunz's correspondence -some 7,000
letters. This volume contains 43 examples, and provides some background on
Kunz's correspondents and his work with them. Originally published by
Conklin in 1986 in a very limited edition with an original letter. This
edition is easier to find, and much cheaper... Hardcover. 8.5"x11.5", 137
pages, color plate and many b/w illustrations; a near fine copy. [03720]
$125.00

____________________________
Concord, Massachusetts 01742 USA
telephone (617) 492-5367
email <office at joslinhall.com>;
~~
Our full-service website features 82 separate subject categories, is
updated daily and has full search capabilities. http://www.joslinhall.com
~~
Subscribe to our free email News List and get special discounts and offers
on selected books! Send e-mail to
<JHRBnews- at joslinhall.com>; and put the word
"subscribe" (without quotes) in the Subject line of your note.
~~
Check out our "Featured Book"
http://www.joslinhall.com/today1.htm

accept checks, money orders, American Express, Visa, Mastercard and
Discover.
Books may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed;
Standard courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are
$5.00 for the first book, and $1.50 for each additional book.
Shipments outside the U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we
are notified within ten days of your receipt of the books-please
ask for full instructions and terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5%
state sales tax.

Subscribe to the free Rare Books Mailing List
http://www.rarebooksmailinglist.com