[Rarebooks] Henry James, ALS, excellent content.

Mark Stirling bookworm at tahoesnow.com
Wed Mar 24 19:31:48 EST 2004

For Sale from Up-Country Letters, South Lake Tahoe, California:

James, Henry.  Autograph Letter, signed, to Mrs. Sellar, Feb. 19th, (no year but 1885).  Both sides of a small (4 1/2 x 3 5/8 inches) card.  "3 Bolton St. W.  Dear Mrs. Sellar, I am very sorry to say your kind invitation for tomorrow finds me engaged.  I have promised to go to poor Lowell at dinner-time (you will have heard of his wife's death today) as he is completely alone, & it is a time when I can sit with him for a couple of hours.  With many thanks & regrets, very truly yours, Henry James."  Frances Lowell had been semi-invalid for many years.  After one bad spell in 1880 James had written to Charles Eliot Norton that Lowell ".....has a most child-like temperament in his way of taking troubles, & relief from them".  A Fine letter.   $900

Up-Country Letters is a rare bookselling concern operated by Mark Stirling.  We specialize in Nineteenth Century American and English Literature with an emphasis on Transcendentalism;   Emerson, Thoreau, and their friends and associates.  Most of our inventory may be seen on-line at www.abebooks.com.

   Any item may be returned within 10 days if found to be unsatisfactory.  Postage is extra and items will be shipped at cost.  Payment may be made by most of the major credit cards and personal checks are welcome.

Up-Country Letters,   P.O. Box 550367,  South Lake Tahoe, California  96155
(530) 577-2089                 bookworm at tahoesnow.com