[Rarebooks] Hunter Thompson to Wodehouse

Gerard Gormley gerard at shore.net
Thu Mar 25 11:22:33 EST 2004

For your kind consideration -- 3 including Hunter S. Thompson &
P.G. Wodehouse -- all of them Firsts.

ABSTRACTS

Nordan, Lewis~.  MUSIC OF THE SWAMP~.  Algonquin Books of Chapel
Hill, 1991.  Signed -- 'Mr. Nordan's stories are splendid' (NY
Times).  First Edition, First Printing.

Thompson, Hunter S~.  FEAR AND LOATHING IN LAS VEGAS: A Savage
Journey to the Heart of the American Dream~.  Random House, 1971.
Illustrated throughout with bizarre ink drawings by Ralph
Steadman -- ultimate in Gonzo journalism.  First Edition.

Wodehouse,P.G~.  AUNTS AREN'T GENTLEMEN: A Jeeves and Bertie
Story~.  London UK: Barrie & Jenkins Ltd, 1974.  First Printing.

DETAILS

Nordan, Lewis~.  MUSIC OF THE SWAMP~.  Chapel Hill NC, USA:
Algonquin Books of Chapel Hill, 1991.  Keywords: Mississippi
Fiction -- Short Stories -- Signed -- 'Mr. Nordan's stories are
splendid' (NY Times) -- English language.  First Edition (so
stated on copyright-page), First Printing (Number series, "1"
present).  Hardcover.  Dust jacket present, price clipped
(original trade edition, though -- no club blind-stamp, gutter
code or jacket mention).  191 pages.  Binding height: 7-1/4".
Book Very Good to Near Fine: heavy bumping to spine-bottom, small
stain to bottom leaf-edges.  Binding strong & tight, insides
Fine.  Dust jacket Near Fine: price-clip.  ISBN:0945575769.
[Digital JPEG image (1.25) available on request].  2206~.
US$50.-

Thompson, Hunter S~.  FEAR AND LOATHING IN LAS VEGAS: A Savage
Journey to the Heart of the American Dream~.  NY NY, USA: Random
House, 1971.  Keywords: Illustrated throughout with bizarre ink
drawings by Ralph Steadman -- Journalism -- Las Vegas -- Drugs --
ultimate in Gonzo journalism -- English language.  First Edition
(so stated on copyright-page, with 2 the lowest in the number
series, standard Random House.  Hardcover.  Dust jacket present,
original price of $5.95 intact.  206 pages: bizarre black & white
ink drawings by Ralph Steadman throughout.  Binding height: 8-
3/8".  Quarter black cloth over gray boards, silver titles to
spine, pictorial blind-stamp to front board.  Book Near Fine:
light sunning to bottom front edge (lightest to others, barely
perceptible), small stain & lightest soiling to fore-edges.
Binding strong & tight, insides Fine.  [Booksellers who bother to
collate report that pages 105, 137, 154, and 188 have ink
spatters from the manufacturing process -- but these must be
printed Ralph Steadman ink spots, because they didn't soak
through.]  Dust jacket Very Good to Near Fine: lightest wrinkle
to spine-top/bottom, 3/8" closed tear to bottom front, inside
flaps creased & slightly dark at tops.  Dust jacket pluses:
absolutely no rubbing, scratching or scoring to front, spine or
back -- a bright & beautiful DJ -- a nice package overall, &
priced far below books of similar condition.  ISBN:0394464354.
[Digital JPEG image (1.5) available on request].  2208~.
US$456.-

Wodehouse,P.G~.  AUNTS AREN'T GENTLEMEN: A Jeeves and Bertie
Story~.  London UK: Barrie & Jenkins Ltd, 1974.  Keywords:
Fiction (novel) -- English language.  First Printing ('First
Published in 1974 by Barrie & Jenkins Ltd.').  Hardcover.  Dust
jacket present, price intact.  176 pages.  Binding height: 8".
Full cloth, title etc. gold-stamped.  Book Fine: name penned on
front free end paper.  Dust jacket Near Fine: manufacturing flaw
(top 1/16" of top edge missed being varnished), lightest wrinkle
to bottom edge.  Dust jacket pluses: absolutely no rubbing,
scratching or scoring to front, spine or back.  Book & DJ a
handsome package, & priced well below books of similar or
inferior condition.  ISBN:0214200477.  [Digital JPEG image (1.5)
available on request].  2210~.  US$100-

                Gerard Gormley Books
                COLLECTIBLE BOOKS -- USED & RARE
                7 Washington Street
                Manchester-by-the-Sea MA 01944-1528 (USA)
                TEL: 978-526-7351
               E-mail: gerard at shore.net
                http://www.shore.net/~gerard
Please note that my descriptions are brutally frank; if anything,
I want you pleasantly surprised by my books.  JPEG digital images
available on request.   I accept MasterCard, Visa, & Discover cards;
also checks & money orders, payable to Gerard Gormley Books, in
US funds drawn on US banks.  (I bill institutions.)  Full refund for
books returned in as-shipped condition within 2 weeks of ship-date;
if my fault, I also reimburse you for return postage.  I ship in 24 hours.
Shipment value $50 or less, weight  2 lb. or less: Priority $7 first book,
$3.50 each additional.  Media Mail $4 most books.  Over $50, preceding
plus insurance, quoted at order entry.  Shipping also quoted for books
over 2 lb. & foreign addresses.  Please email or telephone to hold.  I
hold books 10 days for collectors, 3 weeks for dealers.  I appreciate
your business & aim to satisfy you in every way.
         Incoming & outgoing mail is certified Virus Free
         by Norton System Works 2002.