[Rarebooks] FS: Architecture & Art

Gerard Gormley gerard at shore.net
Sun Mar 28 18:40:09 EST 2004

For your kind consideration -- A KEY TO MODERN ARCHITECTURE
(1939) & THE JOURNAL OF EUGENE DELACROIX (1937, illustrated)

ABSTRACTS

Yorke & Penn~.  A KEY TO MODERN ARCHITECTURE~.  London & Glascow
UK: Blackie & Son Ltd, 1939.  Copies with DJ very hard to find --
firsts with DJ very, very hard to find -- Out of Print --
Illustrated by T.R. Evans.  First Printing.

Delacroix, Eugene~.  THE JOURNAL OF EUGENE DELACROIX~.  NY NY,
USA: Covici, Friede, 1937.  Hardcover Out of Print --
introduction & translation by Walter Pach -- reproductions of
Delacroix paintings & drawings, 8 in full color & 50 in duotone -
- an intimate record of painter's thoughts from 1822 until his
death in 1863, replete with candid portraits of great men & women
& descriptions of his work & personal life -- Delacroix was
leader of Romantic School of French painting -- Pach's intro
quotes Renoir as calling Delacroix greatest artist of French
School -- original large-format edition -- best-known artist's
journal of 19th century -- English language.  First US Edition.

DETAILS

Yorke, F.R.S. & Colin Penn~.  A KEY TO MODERN ARCHITECTURE~.
London & Glascow UK: Blackie & Son Ltd, 1939.  Keywords: copies
with DJ very hard to find -- firsts with DJ very, very hard to
find -- Out of Print -- Architecture -- Art -- Illustrated --
Illustrated (photos) -- Interior Design -- Non-Fiction -- Science
& Technology -- Illustrated by T.R. Evans -- English language.
First Printing ('First Published 1939').  Hardcover.  Dust jacket
present, price clipped (original trade edition, though -- no club
blind-stamp, gutter code or jacket mention).  180 pages:
Bibliography, Chronological Table, Index, black/white photographs
& illustrations throughout.  Binding height: 7-3/8".  Full cloth.
Book Very Good: black stripe across top leaf-edges, light bumping
& rubbing to fore-corners, light bumping to spine-top/bottom, 3
wormholes (book fumigated when acquired) to front joint (cloth
otherwise flawless), extensive wormholes to front hinge (still
strong, though) & flyleaves (frontis plate detached but present),
light foxing to end papers.  Binding strong & tight, insides
Fine.  Dust jacket Very Good: price-clip, light rubbing to bottom
fore-corners & spine-bottom (moderate to bottom same, with
several small tears to spine-top), 2 wormholes to front joint,
1/2" closed tear to top-front/back, 1/4" chip to top front (1/8"
to top back), spine slightly darkened, light soiling to front &
back, light scoring to front.  Dust jacket pluses: absolutely no
rubbing, scratching or other scoring to front, spine or back --
still looks quite good on book.  [Digital JPEG image (1.25)
available on request].  2217~.  US$50.-

Delacroix, Eugene~.  THE JOURNAL OF EUGENE DELACROIX: Translated
from the French by Walter Pach~.  NY NY, USA: Covici, Friede,
1937.  Keywords: Hardcover Out of Print -- Art -- Biography &
Memoirs -- Illustrated -- Non-Fiction -- introduction &
translation by Walter Pach -- reproductions of Delacroix
paintings & drawings, 8 in full color & 50 in duotone -- an
intimate record of painter's thoughts from 1822 until his death
in 1863, replete with candid portraits of great men & women &
descriptions of his work & personal life -- Delacroix was leader
of Romantic School of French painting -- Pach's intro quotes
Renoir as calling Delacroix greatest artist of French School --
original large-format edition -- best-known artist's journal of
19th century -- English language.  First US Edition (No
Additional Printings indicated).  Hardcover.  No dust jacket.
731 pages: Supplement, full color & duotone art reproductions
throughout.  Binding height: 10-1/4".  Full cloth, title etc.
gold-stamped, top leaf-edges tinted.  Book Very Good: news
clipping laid in at p.524 has browned plate, moderate bumping &
rubbing to fore-corners & spine-top/bottom, gilt faded.  Binding
strong & tight, insides Fine.  [Digital JPEG image (4.5)
available on request].  2218~.  US$60.-

                Gerard Gormley Books
                COLLECTIBLE BOOKS -- USED & RARE
                7 Washington Street
                Manchester-by-the-Sea MA 01944-1528 (USA)
                TEL: 978-526-7351
               E-mail: gerard at shore.net
                http://www.shore.net/~gerard
Please note that my descriptions are brutally frank; if anything,
I want you pleasantly surprised by my books.  JPEG digital images
available on request.   I accept MasterCard, Visa, & Discover cards;
also checks & money orders, payable to Gerard Gormley Books, in
US funds drawn on US banks.  (I bill institutions.)  Full refund for
books returned in as-shipped condition within 2 weeks of ship-date;
if my fault, I also reimburse you for return postage.  I ship in 24 hours.
Shipment value $50 or less, weight  2 lb. or less: Priority $7 first book,
$3.50 each additional.  Media Mail $4 most books.  Over $50, preceding
plus insurance, quoted at order entry.  Shipping also quoted for books
over 2 lb. & foreign addresses.  Please email or telephone to hold.  I
hold books 10 days for collectors, 3 weeks for dealers.  I appreciate
your business & aim to satisfy you in every way.
         Incoming & outgoing mail is certified Virus Free
         by Norton System Works 2002.