[Rarebooks] fs: A Whole Lotta Maiolica Goin' On...

Joslin Hall Rare Books, ABAA office at joslinhall.com
Mon Mar 29 09:11:34 EST 2004

Two 19th century titles by Fortnum:
-----------------------------------

Fortnum, G. Drury E. A DESCRIPTIVE CATALOGUE OF THE MAIOLICA,
HISPANO-MORESQUE, PERSIAN, DAMASCUS, AND RHODIAN WARES, in the South
Kensington Museum. With Historical Notices, Marks, & Monograms.

London; Chapman & Hall: 1873. A thick, heavy catalog of this noted
collection, featuring many woodcut illustrations and a dozen beautiful
chromolithographic plates. Solon notes- "The specimens of Italian and
Persian ware in the South Kensington Museum form, perhaps, the richest and
most comprehensive collection ever brought together. A catalogue of such a
collection, written by one of our most accredited connoisseurs, will
always be one of the best text-books on the subject that may be placed in
the student's hands."

He does note a textual problem, specifically that Fortnum places some
credence, in his historical notices, on the discredited works of Passeri
and other earlier writers- "which the latest researches have since
completely discredited". Solon wrote that in 1906; almost a hundred years
later Passeri is still a very problematical writer, but that does not, in
the end, diminish the stately elegance and importance of this book.

Hardcover. 7"x10", cix + 699 pages, with many woodcuts in the text and 12
chromolithographed plates. Bound in the original green pebbled cloth with
a leather spine and gilt titles; about as nice a copy of this book as you
are likely to find- there is some minor cover wear -a few bumps and dings,
a little soil and rubbing, but the hinges are tight and the book is clean.
Internally there is some scattered foxing as is usual, but the pages are
partially unopened and although they exhibit some age-toning there is no
other wear or soil to speak of. A very nice copy of a very thick, awkward
book which is usually found breaking out of its binding one way or
another. [04752] $750.00

---------------

Fortnum, G. Drury. A DESCRIPTIVE CATALOGUE OF THE MAIOLICA AND ENAMELLED
EARTHENWARE OF ITALY, the Persian, Damascus, Rhodian, Hispano-Moresque and
some French and other wares in the Ashmolean Museum, Oxford, Fortnum
Collection.

Oxford; at the Clarendon Press: 1897. A catalog of the author's collection
of maiolica and related Renaissance wares as shown at the Ashmoleum
Museum. Fortnum wrote several other acclaimed books on mailoica, including
the massive 1873 catalog of the South Kensington Museum collection and an
1896 study based on the earlier work. This Ashmolean catalog also has much
to recommend it, as Solon praises Fortnum as "one of our most accredited
connoisseurs". Hardcover. 7.5"x10", x + 104 pages; chromolithographed
frontispiece and 22 b/w plates with tissue guards. Publisher's brick-red
cloth with gilt titles; covers somewhat rubbed and worn; contents with
scattered foxing. [04858] $250.00

-----------

More BOOKS ON CERAMICS-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/certp.htm>

____________________________
Concord, Massachusetts 01742 USA
telephone (617) 492-5367
email <office at joslinhall.com>;
~~
Our full-service website features 82 separate subject categories, is
updated daily and has full search capabilities. http://www.joslinhall.com
~~
Subscribe to our free email News List and get special discounts and offers
on selected books! Send e-mail to
<JHRBnews- at joslinhall.com>; and put the word
"subscribe" (without quotes) in the Subject line of your note.
~~
Check out our "Featured Book"
http://www.joslinhall.com/today1.htm

All payments must be in U.S. funds and negotiable through a U.S. bank;
We accept checks, money orders, American Express, Visa, Mastercard and
Discover.
Books may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed;
Standard courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are
$5.00 for the first book, and $1.50 for each additional book.
Shipments outside the U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we
are notified within ten days of your receipt of the books-please
ask for full instructions and terms. Massachusetts residents must add
5% state sales tax.

Subscribe to the free Rare Books Mailing List
http://www.rarebooksmailinglist.com