[Rarebooks] fs: Suggestive Paintings...

Joslin Hall Rare Books, ABAA office at joslinhall.com
Tue May 11 07:36:01 EDT 2004

>From our JUST CATALOGUED pages-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/justcat.htm>
_______________________________________

Sherman, Frederic Fairchild. "Sonnets Suggested by Paintings"

Springfield; 1937. One of 25 copies "privately printed for Ruth and Carl
Ekberg and their friends by the Pond-Ekberg Company during the month of
December MCMXXXVII".

Frederic Fairchild Sherman (1874-1940) was a well-heeled collector and the
editor-publisher of 'Art in America', who also published
beautifully-printed, extremely limited edition studies of American art and
artists in the 19-teens, 20s and 30s. This Christmas offering was printed
in several very limited editions, of which we have seen two- both for
friends of the printer, Pond-Ekberg (one for Pond, one for Ekberg). It
features sonnets apparently written by Sherman himself, each suggested by
a painting which is pictured on the facing page. Botticelli's 'Primavera'
begins the selection, followed by 'Homer', "suggested by a portrait by
Caravaggio"; then come three Albert Pinkham Ryder paintings and sonnets-
'Sunset at Sea', 'The Road of Life', and 'The Spirit of Autumn'. 'Mother
and Child' by Robert Loftin Newman ends the series.

If this is nothing else it is an intriguing Ryder item for the completest-
Sherman was a fan of the eccentric American artist, and wrote the first
book-length monograph on his work in 1920. Hardcover. 8"x10", [i] + 6
pages plus 6 b/w plates; light wear, a little soil, a somewhat fragile
printing, but in fairly good shape. [05494] $150.00

Illustrations-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images03/th-05494.jpg>

Our JUST CATALOGUED pages-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/justcat.htm>

____________________________
Concord, Massachusetts 01742 USA
telephone (617) 492-5367
email <office at joslinhall.com>;
~~
Our full-service website features 82 separate subject categories, is
updated daily and has full search capabilities. http://www.joslinhall.com
~~
Subscribe to our free email News List and get special discounts and offers
on selected books! Send e-mail to
<JHRBnews- at joslinhall.com>; and put the word
"subscribe" (without quotes) in the Subject line of your note.
~~
Check out our "Featured Book"
http://www.joslinhall.com/today1.htm

accept checks, money orders, American Express, Visa, Mastercard and
Discover.

Books may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed;
Standard courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are
$5.00 for the first book, and $1.50 for each additional book.

Shipments outside the U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we
are notified within ten days of your receipt of the books-please
ask for full instructions and terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5%
state sales tax.

Subscribe to the free Rare Books Mailing List
http://www.rarebooksmailinglist.com