[Rarebooks] fs: Ancient Ceramics

Joslin Hall Rare Books, ABAA office at joslinhall.com
Thu May 13 11:09:27 EDT 2004

>From our selection of books on CERAMICS
<http://www.joslinhall.com/certp.htm>

and ANCIENT ARTS
<http://www.joslinhall.com/ancient.htm>

_______________________________________

Charleston, R.J. ROMAN POTTERY. New York; Pitman Publishing Corp.:nd
(1950s). The U.S. edition of a Faber title.  Hardcover.   6.5"x10", 48
pages plus 4 color and 96 b&w plates, worn dj. [19288] $85.00

Illustration-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images/th-19288.jpg>

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Greau Collection] COLLECTION J. GREAU. Catalogue des Terres Cuites
Grecques. Vases Peints et Marbres Antiques. Paris; Maurice Delestre & M.H.
Hoffmann: May 11-16th, 1891.

The auction sale of this major but short-lived collection of Greek
terra-cottas from the Golden Age of 19th century European collectors.
Julien Greau drew his specimens from new excavations in Asia Minor, and
his collection was composed almost exclusively of items of Lydian and
Phrygian origin. "Most of the groups and figures that came into his
possession from these sources showed such an unwonted and surprising
character that their authenticity was warmly contested. Froehner advocated
their genuineness in the introductory notice [to his volume on the
collection] and later on in many other writings" [Solon, pp. 183]. Solon
notes of this auction catalog-

"Like many collections of that time, this was rapidly formed and
dispersed, but the volumes in which their content was illustrated, and the
catalogs of the sales remain to us as a testimony of their importance, and
as a valuable assistance to the study of ancient Greek art".

Hardcover.   9.5"x12", vi + 292 pages with many b&w line illustrations in
the text, plus 75 plates (numbered 1-70), most of them phototypes, a few
of them colored lithographs or line illustrations; many double-page
plates. An ex-library copy bound in old, handsome quarter leather with
raised bands and gilt spine emblems. Some cover rubbing. Contents with
some perforations, a stamp or two, each plate neatly stamped on the back;
minor soil and a few chips, one text signature loose. Overall a very neat
and useful copy. [28127] $400.00

Illustrations-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/g-28127.htm>

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hull, M.R. THE ROMAN POTTERS' KILNS OF COLCHESTER. Oxford; printed at the
University Press for The Society of Antiquaries:1963. A scholarly study of
excavated kiln sites and their contents. Both the kilns themselves and the
pottery found there are illustrated and discussed, and the construction
and use of ancient kilns is also addressed. This publication was the
"Report of the Research Committee of The Society of Antiquaries of London,
No.XXI".  Hardcover.  8.5"x11", 195 pages, 107 b&w figures with hundreds
of illustrations, plus 22 b&w plates. [21156] $85.00

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Loeb) Chase, George H. THE LOEB COLLECTION OF ARRETINE POTTERY. New York;
Metropolitan Museum of Art:1908. "Arretine pottery takes its name from the
ancient city of Arretium...in Tuscany, some fifty miles southeast of
Florence." A collection of fine ancient pottery, including many fragments
and some intact examples.   Hardcover.  9"x12", 167 pages, plus 23 b&w
plates; paper covered boards, paper separating along the hinges; with a
second, custom bound volume containing 19 tipped-in photographs. $275.00

Illustrations-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images/th-19380.jpg>

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Walters, H.B. HISTORY OF ANCIENT POTTERY. Greek, Etruscan and Roman.
London; John Murray: 1905. Henry Beauchamp Walters, F.S.A., was an
Assistant in the Department of Greek and Roman Antiquities at the British
Museum and wrote catalogs of the Museum's Greek and Etruscan vases, Roman
pottery, and the terra-cottas. He writes in his introduction to this set-

"To many of us what is known as a classical education seems perhaps in
these utilitarian times somewhat antiquated and unnecessary, but at the
same time "the glory that was Greece and the grandeur that was Rome" have
not lost their interest for us, and can awaken responsive chords in most
of our hearts. Nor can we ever be quite forgetful of the debt that we owe
to these nations in almost every branch of human learning and industry".

This set certainly shows the full contribution the ancients made to the
ceramics arts. It was based on the general format introduced by Samuel
Birch in his groundbreaking 1857 study of ancient pottery. In addition to
a sweeping and comprehensive study of the pottery itself, Walters includes
an extensive and helpful bibliography, grouped by pottery type. Although a
hundred years old now, Walters' work continues on, dated but unfazed.
Hardcover. 2 volumes. 6.5"x9", xxxvi + 1,092 pages, 8 color and 61 b/w
plates, 230 b/w illustrations. Covers a bit rubbed at the hinges, tips,
etc., small hole in spine of Volume 1. [05315] $150.00

Illustrations-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images03/th-05315.jpg>

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Walters, H.B. CATALOGUE OF THE ROMAN POTTERY IN THE DEPARTMENT OF
ANTIQUITIES, BRITISH MUSEUM. London; Longmans (et al): 1908. A complete
catalog of the Roman wares in the Department of Greek and Roman
Antiquities in the British Museum as it existed then. Most of the material
had been acquired by the Museum in the 19th century, and included what was
at the time probably the largest amount of ancient Roman pottery recovered
from a single site, the result of Roach Smith's excavations in the city of
London.

The catalog is complete and scholarly, with special attention paid to
decorative motifs and potters' and other impressed marks, which are often
illustrated. Henry Beauchamp Walters, F.S.A., was an Assistant in the
Department of Greek and Roman Antiquities at the British Museum and also
wrote catalogs of the Museum's Greek and Etruscan vases, and the
terra-cottas, as well as a well-regarded two-volume history of ancient
Greek, Roman and Etruscan pottery. He wrote, in his introduction to that
set-

"To many of us what is known as a classical education seems perhaps in
these utilitarian times somewhat antiquated and unnecessary, but at the
same time "the glory that was Greece and the grandeur that was Rome" have
not lost their interest for us, and can awaken responsive chords in most
of our hearts. Nor can we ever be quite forgetful of the debt that we owe
to these nations in almost every branch of human learning and industry".

Hardcover. 8"x10", liv + 464 pages, with 283+ line illustrations in the
text, plus 32 b/w and tinted plates and 12 plates of line illustration;
all plates with tissue guards. Covers with some very minor soil and a
little wear; contents with some foxing on the top, fore and bottom edge
and on the edges title page and preliminaries, but except for this a very
nice, neat copy of a scarce book often found ex-libbed and beat to hell.
[05314] $375.00

Illustrations-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images03/th-05314.jpg>

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

More books on CERAMICS
<http://www.joslinhall.com/certp.htm>

and ANCIENT ARTS
<http://www.joslinhall.com/ancient.htm>

____________________________
Concord, Massachusetts 01742 USA
telephone (617) 492-5367
email <office at joslinhall.com>;
~~
Our full-service website features 82 separate subject categories, is
updated daily and has full search capabilities. http://www.joslinhall.com
~~
Subscribe to our free email News List and get special discounts and offers
on selected books! Send e-mail to
<JHRBnews- at joslinhall.com>; and put the word
"subscribe" (without quotes) in the Subject line of your note.
~~
Check out our "Featured Book"
http://www.joslinhall.com/today1.htm

accept checks, money orders, American Express, Visa, Mastercard and
Discover.

Books may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed;
Standard courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are
$5.00 for the first book, and $1.50 for each additional book.

Shipments outside the U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we
are notified within ten days of your receipt of the books-please
ask for full instructions and terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5%
state sales tax.

Subscribe to the free Rare Books Mailing List
http://www.rarebooksmailinglist.com