[Rarebooks] St. Croix, Virgin Islands: 3 scarce imprints

Norman Kane nkane at kanebooks.com
Sat May 22 11:03:38 EDT 2004

We offer the following scarce St. Croix imprints:

COLONIAL LAW FOR THE DANISH WESTINDIA ISLANDS.  Christiansborg, the 27th
November, 1863.[vignette of royal seal]. St. Croix: Printed at Mrs.
Harriett Hatchett's Printing Office, n.d. [1864?]
30pp.  Self-wraps, cover-title.   A little worn.  NN only in NUC.  (In
effect, a Constitution, setting out rules for elections, the judiciary,
taxation, &c, plus a bill of rights. It is worth noting that the printer
was a woman.)   $175.00

STATISTICS REGARDING LANDED PROPERTIES  IN THE ISLAND OF ST.
CROIX                           . . .  showing the quantity of sugar
shipped . . . to 1857.  (St. Croix:
published with the sanction of the Royal Government by P. B. Hatchett;
printed at the "Avis" Office, 1859.)  Sewn, 68, [11]pp. Caption-title;
imprint on p.68.  Tears, mostly marginal; somewhat worn & fragile.   Name
of Joseph Carson, Baltimore, at top of title. We find no listings of this
valuable document, which gives an historical record of each property, the
number of slaves (in the earlier period), improvements such as windmills,
acres under cultivation, land transfers, &c.  At the end there are 11
tables showing who shipped how much sugar year by year for the periods
1835-49 & 1850-57.   $225.00

REPORT ON SUGAR MANUFACTURING IN ST. CROIX, etc. 1874.  Rendered by Cand.
Polyt.J. WULFF. (Translated from the Danish original.)  [We presume this is
(Johan Frederik) Julius WULFF, 1852-1924.]  N.p., {Christiansted?
1874?}  Caption-title, 17pp. fastened with a brass pin, legal length,
double-columns, folded. Modest wear.  Here again we find no record of this
piece.   $225.00

THE AMERICANIST (ABAA),   1525 Shenkel Road,  Pottstown,  Pa, USA,
19465-7221.Telephone:  610 323 5289.  email:  nkane at kanebooks.com.
Fax 610 323 0885
Proprietor: Norman Kane (50 years as an antiquarian bookseller.)
We accept visa, mastercard, checks (in US funds drawn on a US bank),
cash (by registered mail) and money orders.
Postage is charged at approximate cost.  Institutions may be billed.  A
courtesy discount is extended to bona fide book dealers.  Pennsylvania
residents who are not tax-exempt should expect to pay the 6% State Sales
Tax. Returns are accepted within 10 days of receipt of books; we ask that
you notify us and pack the item well and insure it.  We are off the beaten
track and our hours are somewhat irregular, so we recommend you call first
for directions and appointment.