[Rarebooks] QUOTE MOSHER

Philip R. Bishop tbmosher at comcast.net
Tue Nov 9 15:19:15 EST 2004

Dear folks:

I have been truly pleased over the last couple months with the quotes for
MOSHER PRESS related material. I've gotten responses from many busy folks
who I wouldn't have thought would have the time to quote little ol' me, but
quote they did and buy I did too. Many thanks to Allen Ahearn of Quill &
Brush for the wonderful inscribed Mosher book, and to Ed Hansen of Louis
Collins Books for the somewhat rare post-1923 Mosher Press item now on its
way. I also want to thank Antic Hay for the incredible periodicals from
Mosher's library, and to the James Cummins firm for their books from
Mosher's library. Thanks too for the call from the West Coast dealer
supplying items he finds with Mosher's bookplate and am looking forward to
our ongoing business relationship. I'm also very pleased with the latest
acquisition from Chapel Hill Rare Books, and to Tom Boss Fine Books who
first alerted me to that item and several others all of which I purchased.
Most recent praises go to Gary Austin of Austin's Antiquarian Books of
Vermont, for showing me several Mosher things including a very rare piece of
ephemera which I was pleased to buy. There were many other quotes too, but
the above should serve to give you an idea. So folks..., keep up the quotes
when you come across anything really special like:

-- Mosher books in fine highly decorated full leather signed bindings

-- Books from Mosher's library with his bookplate or inscription

-- Letters to / from Thomas Bird Mosher

-- Mosher books printed on real vellum

-- Extra-illustrated / watercolored copies of the Mosher Books

-- Association copies, or specially inscribed copies of the Mosher books

...and REMEMBER that I'm really looking for that special copy of T. B.
Mosher's personal set of Bell's British Theatre, 34 vols. British Library /
Strand, [1790-1799]. 18mo.; bound in calf; with the name "J--- Sonntag"
written in it (I'm probably the only one who knows in what volumes the name
appears so I'll know the authentic set when I see it).

Of course there are still those few little items for which I'm still
looking:

HOMEWARD: SONGS BY THE WAY A. E. (Miscellaneous Series), 1895 (Japan vellum
copy only).

KENT, ROCKWELL, substituted a new title page with an original illustration
for none other than a Mosher book. Find the copy of the Old World Series:
Mosher's Tristan and Iseult, 1923. Small octavo, the Mosher Press edition of
1922, with title page and binding removed, an inserted title page or
colophon saying printed at the Lakeside Press under the supervision of Wm A.
Kittredge, and bound there in full maroon niger and binding design by Kent
stamped in gold.

LIST OF BOOKS, MDCCCXCIV - List of Books Issued in Limited Editions, 1894.
LITTLE WILLIE Eugene Field (Boston: Privately Printed), 1904. Doesn't say
Mosher anywhere.

IN MEASURED LANGUAGE E. C. Cummings (Privately Printed), 1899.

IN MEMORIAM [Jane Anne Bell] (Privately Printed for Arthur Sewall), 1917.

MEMORIES OF PRESIDENT LINCOLN Whitman (Miscellaneous Series) 1912. 1/10 on
Roman vellum bound in classic vellum.

PEARL: Rendered into Modern English Verse S. Weir Mitchell (Privately
Printed), 1908.
VERSES AND A DREAM Printed for Josephine B. Pressey (Privately Printed),
1922. 1/3 copies

WORKS OF ARTHUR SYMONS: A Bibliographical Note T.B.M. (Privately Printed),
1912. 1/5 copies.
__________________________________
Philip R. Bishop
MOSHER BOOKS        (member ABAA & ILAB, listed on ABE)
P. O. Box 111
Millersville, PA  17551-0111        U.S.A.
717-872-9209
tbmosher at comcast.net
http://stairway.org/mosher
www.abebooks.com/home/MOSHER