[Rarebooks] FS: Margaret Mitchell Signed Letter: " I never dreamed I could run a quarter of a mile in a heavy wool dress"

Charles Agvent agvent at erols.com
Fri Nov 12 11:29:04 EST 2004

MITCHELL,  Margaret. TYPED LETTER SIGNED (TLS). Atlanta,
         GA: 14  Nov. 1937. Fine single-spaced one-page letter of @280
         words on  Mitchell's stationery to Herschel Brickell, a noted
         book reviewer  from  Mississippi who served on the  New  York
         Herald  Tribune  book  section and who, at the time  of  this
         correspondence,  was  a  reviewer for the  New  York  Evening
         Post. Brickell  is  mentioned  in  biographies  of  Faulkner,
         Fitzgerald,  Frost, and Hemingway. Mitchell discusses how she
         and her  husband had to rush to Washington "on a very serious
         matter  (nothing to do with taxes!) which I'll tell you about
         later when  what's  going to develope [sic]  has  developed."
         This is  a  reference to trouble Mitchell had  in  pursuing a
         case against  a  publisher  in Holland who  was  publishing a
         Dutch edition  of GONE WITH THE WIND without her  permission.
         Mitchell  also discusses the health of Brickell and his  wife
         and concludes:  "This  has been the wildest thirty six  hours
         of my life. I never dreamed I could run a quarter of a  mile
         in a heavy  wool dress, burdened with a heavier fur coat  and
         weighed  down  with  bundles, papers, etc. but I did  it  and
         Steve and  I caught the train while it was moving. Dear  God,
         the strange  places I've been, on a moments [sic] notice,  in
         this last  year and the strange people I've seen!" SIGNED "M"
         in pencil  by  Mitchell. All of the letters to Brickell  that
         we have  seen were signed by Mitchell either as "Margaret" or
         as "M,"  an  indication of the personal relationship she  had
         with him.  Not in Richard Harwell's MARGARET MITCHELL'S "GONE
         WITH THE  WIND" LETTERS, though many others to Brickell  are.
         Fine with the original typed envelope.               $1500.00

--

All books subject to prior sale.  Cash with order; institutions may be billed.  Postage additional:  $7.00 for the first book, $3.50 each thereafter.  Overseas postage billed at approximate cost. Pennsylvania residents must add 6% sales tax.  Mastercard, Visa, American Express and Discover accepted.  Books may be returned within 7 days of receipt for any reason provided they are in the same condition as sent and prior notice is given. Please insure returns for their full value.  We carry a diverse stock with major specialties including Modern and 19th Century Literary First Editions, Autographed Books, and Limited Editions Club books.  We are proud to be members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America (ABAA) and the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers (ILAB) as well as the International Autograph Dealers Alliance (IADA), the Manuscript Society, and the Universal Autograph Collectors Club (UACC).  Please feel free to contact us with any wants or offerings.  Thank you.

Mertztown, PA  19539-8750
Voice/Fax: 610-682-4750
agvent at erols.com
Visit our home page:  http://www.erols.com/agvent