[Rarebooks] FS: Fine Eudora Welty Association Copy with Christmas Card from Welty

Charles Agvent agvent at erols.com
Fri Nov 12 15:37:47 EST 2004

WELTY,   Eudora.  THE  GOLDEN   APPLES  along  with   an
         AUTOGRAPH  NOTE  SIGNED  (ANS).   New  York:  Harcourt  Brace
         (1949).  First  Edition.  INSCRIBED   by  Welty  for  William
         Archibald  "with  best  wishes" and SIGNED by her  "at  Upper
         Grand View  on May 26, 1956." Archibald, from Trinidad, wrote
         the book  and lyrics for two musicals: CARIB SONG in 1945 and
         THE CRYSTAL  HEART  in  1960.   The  latter  starred  Mildred
         Dunnock  and  earned some praise from the  critics  including
         this comment  by Harold Hobson of the 1957 London production:
         "I would  rather  have  written this failure  than  successes
         like THE  KING  AND I and SOUTH PACIFIC." More to the  point,
         Welty in  the early 1950s corresponded with Archibald in  the
         hopes that  he  would  create a musical from  her  novel  THE
         ROBBER  BRIDEGROOM,  a project that never materialized.  Laid
         into the  book  is a Christmas card from Welty  to  Archibald
         showing  a  Santa on the deck of a ferry named  "Miss  Noel."
         Inside  the  card  Welty has written: "Variety tells  me  you
         went to  Europe  for  beginning CRYSTAL HEART, so  who  knows
         when the  Miss  Noel will catch up with you. This is  to  say
         hello,  Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, and fabulous success
         with the    London  opening  [it   closed  after  only   four
         performances].  I'll  be reading about it in the papers.  All
         the best  for  1957  from  Eudora." Welty  has  also  added a
         one-line   note  to  Bean,   Baldwin  Bergersen,  Archibald's
         companion   and  musical   collaborator.  Archibald's   loose
         bookplate  laid  in  with the adhesive stain from it  on  the
         front pastedown.    Near  Fine,   lacking  the   dustwrapper.
                                                              $2000.00

--

All books subject to prior sale.  Cash with order; institutions may be billed.  Postage additional:  $7.00 for the first book, $3.50 each thereafter.  Overseas postage billed at approximate cost. Pennsylvania residents must add 6% sales tax.  Mastercard, Visa, American Express and Discover accepted.  Books may be returned within 7 days of receipt for any reason provided they are in the same condition as sent and prior notice is given. Please insure returns for their full value.  We carry a diverse stock with major specialties including Modern and 19th Century Literary First Editions, Autographed Books, and Limited Editions Club books.  We are proud to be members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America (ABAA) and the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers (ILAB) as well as the International Autograph Dealers Alliance (IADA), the Manuscript Society, and the Universal Autograph Collectors Club (UACC).  Please feel free to contact us with any wants or offerings.  Thank you.

Mertztown, PA  19539-8750
Voice/Fax: 610-682-4750
agvent at erols.com
Visit our home page:  http://www.erols.com/agvent