[Rarebooks] FS - Homann's map of the Ukraine

GREENFIELD BOOKS mail at greenfieldbooks.com
Tue Nov 30 13:54:16 EST 2004

In light of the current turmoil, in the Ukraine, we thought it timely to
offer this fine framed map which depicts the Ukraine, the Crimea, and
the Black Sea. It has graced the walls of our shop for several years,
and attracts much interest and admiration, but recent acqusitions of
fine prints and engravings compel us to seek a new home for this
magnificent specimen of the cartographer's art.

The map is framed under glass and measures 27.25" x 30.75" (wide). The
image measures 18.75" x 22.25". The map is matted and the framing
appears to have been done within the last 50 years. We purchased it at a
charity auction. It had previously been in the collection of the (then)
Governor-General of Canada, Edward Schreyer, who had donated it to the
auction.

The cartographer is the well-known Johann Baptist Homann (1664-1724).
Homann was a native of Nuremberg, Germany, and trained as a map
engraver. In 1702 he set up his own publishing house, which quickly
became a success and helped to revive the moribund German map publishing
industry.

The map was apparently published in the 1716 edition of Atlas Novus
L'Omnia, at least according to a printed ticket on the back of the frame
(which is in Ukrainian). The imprint on the cartouche is from Noribergae
(Nuremberg). The map has a visible fold mark down the center, but is
otherwise in excellent condition. The image was engraved on copper, and
the hand-painted colours are exceptionally bright: the cartouche is a
work of art.

If you wish to view photos of the map and cartouche, please click on
this link:

http://www.greenfieldbooks.com/UkraineMap.html

The price is $1,500 US, net to all. Packing and shipping charges are
additional, and will be quoted in advance, depending on the purchaser's
preferences. Payment may be made by credit card, or check.

If further information, or photos, is sought, please let us know.

Aimee Noyes,

GREENFIELD BOOKS
Member: ABAC/ILAB and
The Ephemera Society of America