[Rarebooks] FS: Scientific works of John Wilkins. London:1708

Karmbooks at aol.com Karmbooks at aol.com
Sat Oct 30 14:58:24 EDT 2004

(SCIENCE) Wilkins, John. THE MATHEMATICAL AND PHILOSOPHICAL WORKS OF THE
RIGHT REVEREND JOHN WILKINS, LATE LORD BISHOP OF CHESTER. Containing, I. The
Discovery of a New World: or, a Discourse Tending to Prove, That ‘tis Probable
There May Be Another Habitable World in the Moon. With a Discourse of the
Possibility of Passage Thither. II. That ‘tis Probable Our Earth Is One of the
Planets. III. Mercury… Shewing How a Man May With Privacy and Speed Communicate His
Thoughts to a Friend at Any Distance. IV. Mathematical Magick: or the Wonders
That May Be Perform’d by Mechanical Geometry. V. An Abstract of His Essay
Towards a Real Character, and a Philosophical Language. To Which Is Prefix’d the
Author’s Life, and an Account of His Works. London: J. Nicholson; B. Tooke; and
R. Smith. 1708. First collected edition. 8vo. 5 parts in 1; parts I thru IV
with their own title pages (dated 1707).
Viii,(6),136;(137)-274;(10),90;(8),168;(169)-184pp. Illustrated with an engraved frontis. portrait, an added engraved
title in Part I., and numerous text copper plates and woodcuts. Cont. paneled
calf, a bit rubbed & scuffed, rebacked, black morocco spine label. This copy
with cont. inscriptions indicating that it was presented to the Islington
Literary & Scientific Society by William King. A very nice copy overall.
$1,500.00 (trade discount allowed)

Kenneth Karmiole, Bookseller, Inc.
P.O. Box 464
Santa Monica, CA 90406
Tel. (310) 451-4342; Fax. (310) 458-5930
Email: karmbooks at aol.com