[Rarebooks] fs: Scarce 1831 Philadelphia Water Power Report

Joslin Hall Rare Books office at joslinhall.com
Mon Apr 11 05:21:17 EDT 2005

REPORT ON WATER POWER. Report of the Committee of the Franklin Institute of
Pennsylvania, appointed May, 1829, to ascertain by experiment the value of
Water as a Moving Power.

[Philadelphia: 1831].

Well, obviously water power did have value as a means of motive power, as a
century's worth of textile and other mills will amply attest... The 14
members of the Committee spent about a year and a half designing and
constructing the apparatus to hold the trials, and running the trials,
after which this detailed report, chock full of useful tables, was issued.
As the author notes:

"The importance of accurate knowledge in relation to the effect of water as
a moving power and the defective state of information upon that subject,
induced the Franklin Institute, in the spring of 1829, to determine that a
series of experiments should be made, under its direction, upon a force of
water applied by wheels; the experiments to be in detail, and upon a scale
calculated to give confidence in the practical nature of the results...
There is perhaps no subject connected with the extensive branch of
mechanics, for which theory has done so little, as for that which consider
the effect of water upon wheels; the different theories advanced are at
variances with each other, and with practice, so that the candid theorist
confesses that the circumstances, attending the action, are of so
complicated a nature as to baffle his powers of investigation. Experiment,
then, can alone guide to results worthy of confidence".

The Franklin Institute was founded in 1824 to encourage the propagation of
scientific and technical knowledge in the spirit of Benjamin Franklin. The
Institute sponsored a series of industrial exhibitions from 1824 to 1838
and awarded gold, silver, and bronze medals for technological innovations.

Softcover. 5.5"x8.75", 136 pages, plus 8 engraved plates, three of them
folding. Bound in new paper covers; text with some spotting and soil, some
plates with some foxing, etc. OCLC locates one copy. [05606] $750.00

Illustration-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images03/th-05606.jpg>

Post Office Box 516, Concord, Massachusetts 01742 USA
telephone (617) 492-5367

--> Subscribe to our free email News List and get special
      discounts and offers on selected books!

--> Our full-service website features 86 separate subject
      categories, and has full search capabilities.
<http://www.joslinhall.com>

--> Visit our new BARGAIN BIN pages for a selection
      of good, inexpensive books for your bookshelf!
<http://www.joslinhall.com/special-1.htm>

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for the
first book, and $1.50 for each additional book. Shipments outside the U.S.
will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within ten
days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.