[Rarebooks] FS: Dillon's Voyage in the South Seas ... Cannibal Practices of the South Sea Islanders, 1829

Charles Agvent agvent at erols.com
Mon Apr 25 10:42:20 EDT 2005

Another superb item from our New York Book Fair list which will be posted on our
web page tomorrow.

DILLON, Chevalier Capt. Peter. NARRATIVE & SUCCESSFUL RESULT  OF A
VOYAGE  IN  THE  SOUTH  SEAS... TO ASCERTAIN THE  ACTUAL  FATE  OF  LA
PEROUSE'S  EXPEDITION....  London:  Hurst, Chance, & Co.  1829.  First
Edition. INTERSPERSED WITH ACCOUNTS OF THE RELIGION, MANNERS, CUSTOMS,
AND  CANNIBAL  PRACTICES  OF  THE  SOUTH  SEA  ISLANDERS.  Two  octavo
(5-1/4"  x  8-1/2") volumes in modern 3/4 navy blue morocco.  Complete
with  two folding frontispieces (one hand-colored), a folding map, and
one  plate.  A scarce account of this journey to the  Solomon  Islands
via  Tasmania,  New  Zealand, and Tonga that successfully  solved  the
mystery  of  the  loss of La Perouse and his  Expedition  forty  years
previous.  Inked  out  library stamps on the title pages,  final  text
pages,  and  verso  of  plates. General, even browning  to  text.  The
hand-colored  plate  of the natives with tears neatly repaired on  the
verso;  the folding map with splits but no loss. A Very Good copy of a
scarce title.                                                 $2000.00

--

All books subject to prior sale.  Cash with order; institutions may be billed.
Postage additional:  $10.00.  Overseas postage billed at approximate cost.

Mertztown, PA  19539-8750
Voice/Fax: 610-682-4750
agvent at erols.com
Visit our home page:  http://www.erols.com/agvent