[Rarebooks] FS: Sir Thomas Phillipps and Australia, 1/185, this in a stunning Richard Griffin binding with large lapis lazuli as center insert

Charles Agvent agvent at erols.com
Fri Dec 9 08:08:05 EST 2005

 From our Holiday List containing fine bindings, limited editions, Presidential
autographs, illustrated books, etc. which will appear this weekend at
http://www.erols.com/agvent

HANKEL,  Valmai  [GRIFFIN,  Richard].  SIR  THOMAS  PHILLIPPS  AND
AUSTRALIA.  Adelaide: Sullivan's Cove 1987. First Edition. An  Address
to  the Bibliographical Society of Australia and New Zealand in  1982;
now  expanded, and published for the first time. Small octavo  (4-1/2"
x  7-3/4") specially bound by Richard Griffin in full burgundy morocco
with  the  upper  board  featuring diamond-  and  half  diamond-shaped
onlays  in  green, purple, and yellow morocco, with a fine  and  large
piece  of lapis lazuli serving as a central insert. Copy #124 of  only
185  printed  by  hand,  this also marked  "s.c."  for  special  copy.
Richard  Griffin had established himself in publishing before becoming
ill  with cancer and turning to bookbinding. He had this to say  about
his  work  in a 1991 catalogue of his bindings: "I do not know  if  it
may  be  partly due to the morphine or the other drugs I have to  take
which  often have a euphoric effect, but for some reason I have become
obsessed  with  the  idea of using semi-precious and  precious  stones
...[and]...  to avoid the use of gold and silver tooling which is  the
basis  of most commercial and traditional bookbindings. I found to  my
delight  that  the  stones needed no other setting  than  the  leather
itself.  Consequently  most  of my recent bindings  are  dominated  by
stones  and  indeed I usually chose the stone first and then  let  the
design  come.  One  design  which  recurs is what I  refer  to  as  my
Harlequin   design.  This  basic  pattern   lends  itself  to  endless
variations  in  colour  and  lay-out, and  looks  most  dramatic  when
combined   with  appropriate  stones."  Housed   in  a  marbled  paper
clamshell  box  with  cloth  edges, also made by  Griffin.  Fine  in a
stunning binding and housed in a handmade box.                $1500.00

--

All books subject to prior sale.  Cash with order; institutions may be billed.
Postage additional:  $7.00 for the first book, $3.50 each thereafter.  Overseas

Mertztown, PA  19539-8750
Voice/Fax: 610-682-4750
agvent at erols.com
Visit our home page:  http://www.erols.com/agvent