[Rarebooks] fs: Books on Prints & Printmakers

Joslin Hall Rare Books, ABAA office at joslinhall.com
Wed Dec 28 10:41:10 EST 2005

Three books on prints and printmakers-

Lewis, C.T. Courtney. GEORGE BAXTER, THE PICTURE PRINTER. London; Sampson,
Low, Marston and Co.:nd. (ca.1920). Edition limited to 1000 copies. A
massive biography and catalog and description of Baxter prints, those
wonderful, period works of the late-Regency and early/mid Victorian
world.  Hardcover.   7.5"x10", 608 pages plus 16 color and 64 b&w plates;
light cover wear, preliminary pages with some soil and browning; lightly
shaken. [21518] $100.00 net.

Hind, Arthur M. WENCESLAUS HOLLAR AND HIS VIEWS OF LONDON AND WINDSOR IN
THE SEVENTEENTH CENTURY.  London; John Lane The Bodley Head: 1922. An aging
though still-standard reference on this famed 17th century engraver. Slater
notes- "Notwithstanding the fact that Hollar worked industriously all his
life and possessed artistic genius of the highest order, he died in a state
of destitution. It is said that he used to work for the booksellers at the
rate of 4d. an hour by the glass, and was so scrupulously honest and
methodical in all he did that he prevented the sand from running even when
talking to his employer on his own business matters". Hardcover. 8.5"x11",
92 pages + 65 b/w plates illustrating 96 views; covers somewhat worn, some
internal foxing. [07541] $60.00 net.

Schretlen, M.J. & M.J. Friedlaender. DUTCH AND FLEMISH WOODCUTS OF THE
FIFTEENTH CENTURY.  Boston; Houghton Mifflin Company: 1925. The author
writes- "it (is) strange that so little attention should have been paid to
the Dutch woodcuts of the 15th century... the art of woodcutting of that
period flourished in a very remarkable and characteristic way in the
Netherlands. It was a living art in the truest sense of the word, and
though it appears to have originated directly from the art of miniatures...
it still reveals an intense life of its own everywhere." The only serious
study of the subject prior to this one was Conway's in 1884 which, as
Schretlen points out, has the unforgivable defect (for a book about prints)
of lacking any illustrations!  Hardcover. 9.5"x13", viii + 71 pages, plus
84 b/w plates. A fine, bright, clean, crisp copy. [00251] $100.00 net.

--> Subscribe to our free email News List and get special
      discounts and offers on selected books!

--> See our new "Just Catalogued" pages for December-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/justcat.htm>

--> Our full-service website features 86 separate subject
      categories, and has full search capabilities.

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for the
first book, and $1.50 for each additional book. Shipments outside the U.S.
will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within ten
days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.