[Rarebooks] fs: Unique manuscript study of Travel

Joslin Hall Rare Books, ABAA office at joslinhall.com
Thu Dec 29 12:03:25 EST 2005

Reid, James.  EARLY ROADS AND TRANSPORT, ANCIENT AND MODERN.

Aberdeen; self-published: 1930s.

An apparently unique leatherbound carbon-copy typed manuscript by a noted
Aberdeen carriage-body builder. The story of roads and the ability (or
inability) to travel safely and transport goods is, in essence, the history
of the development of mankind, and his societies have risen and fallen with
their roads and transport. Reid's text roams from ancient times through the
Middle Ages and 19th century and into the first decades of the 20th
century, and includes road, sea, rail and air travel.

Far from being a dry recitation of the dates electric trams were introduced
to Galway or the mean yearly statistics of pounds of mail carried by coach
in the 1750s, Reid spices his narrative of with anecdotes and side trips,
of Eskimos and pickpockets, bad carriage trips and pamphleteers stuck in
gaol, and quotes pithy descriptions of life and travel from period writers.

Reid also includes separately paginated sections on "Mail Transport", "A
Review of Life in England from 1600 to 1850", and "Transport by Waterways".
For illustrations, Reid cut pictures from other books and magazines and
pasted them into their own section at the rear. Although (evidently) never
published, the manuscript has scholarly and entertainment value.

The author's other book, "The Evolution of Horse-Drawn Vehicles", was
published by the Institute of British Carriage and Automobile Manufacturers
and got good notices in the Times Literary Supplement (tipped in at the
back).

Hardcover.  8"x10.5", 182 + 17 + 11 pages of single-sided carbon-copied
typescript, with some pen and typed corrections; plus 17 card pages with
pasted-on illustrations; pasted-in photograph of the author; bound in full
pebbled leather with gilt titles; light wear, some soil.  $350.00

No other copies of this title are available on Bookfinder (obviously);
Bookfinder also fails to find a single copy of his privately-published work
on horse-drawn vehicles.

Picture of the covers-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images/th-03062.jpg>

--> Subscribe to our free email News List and get special
      discounts and offers on selected books!

--> See our new "Just Catalogued" pages for December-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/justcat.htm>

--> Our full-service website features 86 separate subject
      categories, and has full search capabilities.

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for the
first book, and $1.50 for each additional book. Shipments outside the U.S.
will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within ten
days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.