[Rarebooks] fs: Fashion Designer turned Sculptor -Nat Smolin

Joslin Hall Rare Books, ABAA office at joslinhall.com
Fri Dec 30 15:25:57 EST 2005

Gauthier, Maximilien.  NAT SMOLIN.

Paris; Editions Le Triangle: 1931. An example from the DeLuxe edition of 50
copies (of the English printing) printed on velin d'Arches paper with an
original signed pencil portrait by the artist.

Nat Smolin [1890-1950] was born in New York on the Fourth of July, the son
of Russian and Polish immigrants. He was expected to take over the family
millinery business, and he did in fact give that career a start in New
York, but art called and he took time, while in Europe on business, to tour
Europe's great museums.

As his friend, the Parisian art critic Maximilien Gauthier, speculates in
the prefatory essay in this book, working with fabrics and learning how
they drape and shape on the human body probably gave Smolin a great leg up
on his later sculpting career -or perhaps his natural eye for form and
shape helped him be a successful designer. Perhaps both. But the "House of
Smolin" was never to be, for in 1920 his father mysteriously disappeared
while traveling in Europe and Nat packed up and moved to Paris to devote
his full time to art.

Once there he drew and sculpted, often working on five figures at once. He
believed that the perfect studio had two rooms, one for observing the model
and one for sculpting, and he himself would often turn his back on a model
to work from memory. "Nat Smolin does not permit himself the caprices of
inspiration" Gauthier remarks concerning Smolin's penchant for long,
regular hours in the studio, but while he adopted a workmanlike approach to
his art, he also lived by a code of personal artistic freedom that he would
not surrender to current fashion. "Climb the mountains, even at the risk of
breaking one's neck, but climb" he wrote. "Success and glory frighten him"
Gauthier adds, "He fears to become their prisoner, he fears being obliged
to conform to the appearance that the public might choose for him".

Probably just as well that he gave up fashion design.

Goethe was among his favorites, and Plate 32 in this volume reproduces a
"patinated plaster" head in triangle (there is no better way to describe
it) monument of Goethe in the artist's studio that was then shipped to Yale
where it became part of the Speck Collection. This volume consists of 32
plates illustrating a range of the artist's work, prefaced by an extended
appreciation and commentary by Gauthier, who is willing to mention it when
he does not agree with a direction in which  several of Smolin's works went.

An altogether interesting study of the life and work of an American
expatriate artist working in the decadent and exuberant milieu that was
Paris between the wars.

Card covers. 9"x11.5", 23 pages plus 32 b/w plates; paper covered boards. A
few small tears in the paper covers along the seams; a little soil and
wear. Inscribed by Nat Smolin to a friend on the front free endpaper. With
an original pencil portrait by Smolin of a young woman's head with
fashionably bobbed hair, laid-in loose.  [08455]  $250.00

--> Subscribe to our free email News List and get special
      discounts and offers on selected books!

--> See our new "Just Catalogued" pages for December-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/justcat.htm>

--> Our full-service website features 86 separate subject
      categories, and has full search capabilities.

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for the
first book, and $1.50 for each additional book. Shipments outside the U.S.
will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within ten
days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.