[Rarebooks] fs: Early Brassey Naval Annuals

Joslin Hall Rare Books office at joslinhall.com
Thu Feb 3 10:06:28 EST 2005

Brassey, Sir Thomas. BRASSEY'S NAVAL ANNUAL, 1898. Portsmouth; J. Griffin
and Co.: 1898.
Brassey's books provide a wonderful, detailed study of the development of
the ironclad warship during those years when development followed
development and a wonder ship could become obsolete within a matter of
months. Each "Annual" discusses and illustrates the new naval developments
and ships, and surveys the world's navies and their vessels at this
interesting time. This issue includes a chapter on the Russian Navy by Lt.
A. Stroumillo. Hardcover. 6.5"x10", 468 pages, tinted frontispiece and 8
b/w plates, 86 line diagram plates, and some b/w illustrations; somewhat
faded covers, light wear and soil. [03854] $100.00

Brassey, Sir Thomas. BRASSEY'S NAVAL ANNUAL, 1915. London; William Clowes
and Sons: 1915.
This is the first true "war" edition, as the 1914 edition was issued before
the declaration of war in August. As such it is somewhat truncated, as it
is noted in the preface that all material relating to British ships,
usually the "meat" of the book, has been removed for security reasons.
There is, however, a good account of the naval war, such as it had been up
to then, and an estimate of the German navy, as well as an essay, "Thoughts
on the Present, and the Future", by Lord Brassey, who came out of
retirement to edit this volume. Hardcover. 6.5"x10", 264 pages, 4 b/w
plates, line diagram plates 18-78, with a note that the line diagrams of
British warships (1-17) have been withdrawn from the publication at the
request of the Admiralty. A bright copy, with a little light wear, etc.
[03856] $100.00

and, speaking of World War One-era navies-

Weyer, Kapitanleutnant B. TASCHENBUCH DER KRIEGSFLOTTEN, XIV. Jahrgang
1913. Munchen; J.F. Lehmann's Verlag: 1913. A German "Jane's", this edition
shows the state of the world's navies at the brink of the First World War.
Each ship is pictured and described, there are also pages of silhouettes
for instant identification and a colored double-page plate of flags.
Softcover. 4.5"x7", 590 pages, plus 28 pages of adv's at the rear; b/w
illustrations and a double-page color plate; covers with some wear and
rubbing, tips thumbed and worn, bookplate on endpaper; some internal soil
and a little light spotting. [02240] $125.00

Illustrations-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images/th-02240.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images/th-02240a.jpg>

More MARITIME books-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/marine.htm>

Post Office Box 516, Concord, Massachusetts 01742 USA
telephone (617) 492-5367

--> Our full-service website features 86 separate subject
      categories, and has full search capabilities.
<http://www.joslinhall.com>

--> Subscribe to our free email News List and get special
      discounts and offers on selected books!