[Rarebooks] FS: AUTOGRAPH MANUSCRIPT SIGNED of Patriotic Poem "Our Country" by Julia Ward Howe

Charles Agvent agvent at erols.com
Tue Feb 22 17:18:20 EST 2005

               HOWE,  Julia Ward. AUTOGRAPH QUOTATION SIGNED (AQS). Two
          stanzas  from  a poem "Our Country" by Howe on a 6" x  7-1/2"
          sheet of  paper that has been professionally inlaid to a 9" x
          13" sheet.  Completely in Howe's hand and SIGNED by her on 18
          May 1897  with the note "From 'Our Country.'" The eight lines
          end with  "And  storm-shed angels hail thy cause" with  "thy"
          apparently  referring  to America which in another line  Howe
          calls,  "The refuge of divinest things." Howe, active in  the
          women's  suffrage  movement,  is perhaps best  known  as  the
          author  of  another poem, "The Battle Hymn of the  Republic,"
          written  at night in a dark tent near the beleaguered capital
          of Washington  at  the beginning of the Civil War. It  earned
          her the  grand  total  of  $4 upon  its  publication  in  THE
          ATLANTIC  MONTHLY  along with the added bonus of instant  and
          lasting  fame. Later she became president of the New  England
          Woman Suffrage  Association as well as the Association of the
          Advancement  of  Women. Howe was honored as the  first  woman
          elected  to the American Academy of Arts and Letters in 1908,
          two years  before  her  death at 91. Slight smudging  to  the
          title.  Near  Fine example of a scarce patriotic  quote  from
          Howe.                                                $1500.00

--

All books subject to prior sale.  Cash with order; institutions may be billed.
Postage additional:  $7.00 for the first book, $3.50 each thereafter.  Overseas

Mertztown, PA  19539-8750
Voice/Fax: 610-682-4750
agvent at erols.com
Visit our home page:  http://www.erols.com/agvent