[Rarebooks] fs: No poet wrote a better book on privies...

Joslin Hall Rare Books office at joslinhall.com
Mon Feb 28 16:39:33 EST 2005

"I defy any great poet to write a better book on privies than this..."

Harington, John. THE METAMORPHOSIS OF AJAX. A New Discourse of a Stale
Subject by Sir John Harington. London; Fanfrolico Press: 1927. Printed for
subscribers in an edition of 450 numbered copies.

A reprinting of the 1596 edition of this satirical Elizabethan book about
constructing sanitary plumbing, edited, and with a new introduction by,
Peter Warlock and Jack Lindsay. Sir John Harington [1561-1612] was a figure
at Court and Elizabeth's godson, a relationship that did not prevent his
slipping in and out of favor. This satirical work about the construction of
a revolutionary flushing privy contained a potshot at Leicester, which got
him into temporary trouble, but also included some good, common sense
sanitary design that was ignored by householders for another 200 years.

In fact, Harington is given credit by some historians as being the inventor
of the flush toilet (more or less) and apparently actually built one of the
contraptions he described in this book for the Queen. "Ajax" was a play on
words, the Elizabethan slang for privy being a "jake". Harington was not a
first-rank writer, but he was entertaining and had his moments. As Lindsay
says of this work in his Preface-

     "It lacks the epic prodigality of Rabelais (but) it is more precise
and neat as becomes a man who essays not to cleans the earth's bad morality
with lyric laughter, but its bad smells with carefully devised carpentry.
... Harrington is no great poet; but I defy any great poet to write a
better book on privies than this".

That about says it all. Hardcover. 6.5"x10", xxix + 144 pages; portrait
frontispiece and several line illustrations in the text; decorated covers.
Some toning along the top margin of the cover, spine darkened, a little
internal soil, but a nice copy. [05661] $200.00

The covers-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images03/th-05661.jpg>

Post Office Box 516, Concord, Massachusetts 01742 USA
telephone (617) 492-5367

--> Our full-service website features 86 separate subject
      categories, and has full search capabilities.
<http://www.joslinhall.com>

--> Subscribe to our free email News List and get special
      discounts and offers on selected books!