[Rarebooks] FS: THE WORLD IN THE AIR Signed by 7 noted pioneers of aeronautics

Charles Agvent agvent at erols.com
Wed Jun 8 08:08:18 EDT 2005

Among the many interesting Spring New Arrivals posted on our web site
http://www.erols.com/agvent

MILLER,  Francis  Trevelyan. THE WORLD IN THE AIR. THE  STORY  OF
FLYING  IN  PICTURES.  New York & London: G. P.  Putnam's  Sons  1930.
First  Edition.  Two quarto (8-1/4" x 11-1/2") volumes bound  in  half
parchment  with  parchment  corners over  marbled  blue-colored  paper
boards--some  copies  we  have handled had  copper-colored  paper--and
printed  on  Ragleaf all-rag paper. Copy #334 of 500 of  the  Pioneers
Edition  SIGNED  by  the author and publisher as well as  seven  noted
pioneers  of aeronautics, mostly two per page, including Glenn Curtiss
who  made  the  first  public flight in  America;  Dr.  Hugo  Eckener,
commander  of  the "Graf Zeppelin," who made the first airship  flight
around  the  world; Louis Bleriot who made the first  airplane  flight
across  the  English Channel; Dr. Claude Dornier, German designer  and
builder  of  multi-engined aircraft; Henri Farman who made  the  first
distance  flight in Europe; Major G. H. Scott, commander of the  first
Trans-Atlantic  voyage  in  an  airship in  1919;  and  Lieut.  Arthur
Whitten  Brown,  co-commander  of the first  nonstop  airplane  flight
across  the  Atlantic in 1919. An impressive collection  of  important
aviation  signatures  as well as a wonderfully illustrated history  of
flight.  Leather  spine  labels  dry and cracked  but  complete.  Some
soiling and staining to parchment spines. Very Good           $2500.00

--

All books subject to prior sale.  Cash with order; institutions may be billed.
Postage additional:  $15.00.  Overseas postage billed at approximate cost.

Mertztown, PA  19539-8750
Voice/Fax: 610-682-4750
agvent at erols.com
Visit our home page:  http://www.erols.com/agvent