[Rarebooks] fs: Death in the Pot

Joslin Hall Rare Books office at joslinhall.com
Mon Jun 13 10:54:28 EDT 2005

Accum, Frederick.  DEATH IN THE POT. A Treatise on Adulterations of Food,
and Culinary Poisons, and Methods of Detecting Them.

London; Milner and Company: no date (1860s).

A very curious and rare Victorian edition of this important treatise, first
published in 1820 as "A Treatise on Adulterations of Food, and Culinary
Poisons, exhibiting the Fraudulent Sophistications of Bread, Beer, Wine,
Spiritous Liquors, Tea, Coffee, Cream, Confectionery, Vinegar, Mustard,
Pepper, Cheese, Olive Oil, Pickles, and other Articles Employed in Domestic
Economy, and Methods of Detecting Them".

The phrase "Death in the Pot" came from the title page of the original
edition, which featured a vignette showing a snake coiling around a pot
with that legend.

Things were not better in the good old days.  Frederick Christian Accum
(1769-1838) was a man with a curiosity for many things, and wrote several
important books on gas lighting and food chemistry.  This pioneering
treatise on the subject of dangerous foods pointed out lead in wine, alum
in bread, counterfeit coffee, carbonate of copper in tea, "lengtheners" in
brandy, and all sorts of strange things in the beer.

In this same year Accum also published his 'Treatise on the Art of
Brewing... and A Treatise on the Art of Making Wine from Native
Fruits...'.  In 1821 he continued with his natural foods theme and write
'Culinary Chemistry, Exhibiting the Scientific Principles of Cookery, with
concise instructions for preparing good and wholesome pickles, vinegar,
conserves (etc)...'.

Although other chemists and doctors were also trying to alert the public to
the problem of food adulteration at this time, Accum's informal, some would
say sensationalistic, style made his book the principal shout in the
darkness in the early 19th century.  The other thing people found
fascinating about Accum's book was that he actually named the names of
adulterating merchants and importers, taken directly from court records.

This did not make him universally popular -in the preface to the 2nd London
edition he notes "To those who have chosen anonymously to transmit to me
their opinion concerning this book, together with their maledictions, I
have little to say; but they may rest assured, that their menaces will in
no way prevent me from endeavoring to put the unwary on their guard against
the frauds of dishonest men..." and he goes on to promise that he will
continue to name names.

The book made him many enemies, and within a year he was implicated in the
theft of leaves from books in the library of the Royal Institution and was
forced to leave England, depressed and disgraced, and return to his native
Germany. This later imprint is as scarce as it is diminutive- OLCL records
but a single copy.

Hardcover. 3.25"x5", 288 pages; blue cloth, as issued; covers with light
soil and rubbing; front inner hinge cracked and a bit tender. $375.00

The covers-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images03/th-06122.jpg">

Post Office Box 516, Concord, Massachusetts 01742 USA
telephone (617) 492-5367

--> Subscribe to our free email News List and get special
      discounts and offers on selected books!

--> Our full-service website features 86 separate subject
      categories, and has full search capabilities.
<http://www.joslinhall.com>

--> Visit our new BARGAIN BIN pages for a selection
      of good, inexpensive books for your bookshelf!
<http://www.joslinhall.com/special-1.htm>

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for the
first book, and $1.50 for each additional book. Shipments outside the U.S.
will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within ten
days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.