[Rarebooks] Scarce Robert Browning / T.J. Wise poetry

Joslin Hall Rare Books office at joslinhall.com
Tue Jun 14 07:17:35 EDT 2005

Browning, Robert & Thomas J. Wise (ed.).  PAULINE: A FRAGMENT OF A
CONFESSION.  By Robert Browning.  A Reprint of the original edition of 1833.

London; Richard Clay and Sons: 1886.
Edition limited to 400 copies.

A new edition of Robert Browning's very, very rare first work, reprinted by
his friend, bibliographer, and (eventually) a forger of the poet's works,
Thomas J. Wise. Thurman Hood in his 1933 book "Letters of Robert Browning,
Collected by Thomas J. Wise", notes-

"Mr. Wise was a young worshipper at the great man's shrine. He soon became
a friend, and, as a member of the Browning Society, often called on Sunday
afternoons... Mr. Wise has served as central treasurer of Browning lore,
the untiring helper of Browning biographers and scholars. The factual
resources of his growing store of letters from the poet to various
correspondents have never been exhausted... It thus becomes a tribute to
the poet, in consummation of the longest, and in spite of unusual
difficulties one of the most successful, bibliophile labors ever spent upon
an English poet".

It would, of course, have been more of a tribute had it not been revealed a
year after the publication of Hood's book that Wise had also been engaged
in forging rare Browning pamphlets. But this reprinting of Pauline was
before all that, so let us return to happier times...

Augustus Muir, in his article in 'Strand Magazine' in September, 1929,
recounts the story of Browning, 'Pauline' and Wise-

"In the year 1884 Mr. Wise first met Robert Browning; and one of his visits
to the poet was an exciting one. Dr. Furnivall, a friend of both, went
along with him to 19, Warwick Crescent. Browning was in a front room on the
ground floor destroying letters and papers. He had dragged from the top of
the house an old leather trunk that had once belonged to his father, and
was dipping into it.

"Mr. Wise, to his horror, saw letters of Carlyle go into the fire and a lot
of Browning's own early verses... Out from the old trunk came two precious
copies of the original edition of 'Pauline'. 'If I had asked Browning for
one of them I am convinced he would have given it to me,' Mr. Wise has
declared. 'But I let the chance go'.

"On leaving the Browning house, he told Dr. Furnivall how keen he was to
get the book. The good Furnivall was amused at the thrill his friend had
got at a glimpse of such a prize in duplicate. 'Write to Browning,' he
said, 'and ask him for one of the copies. Offer in return to give to a
charity any sum he thinks just'.

"Delicacy held back Thomas J. Wise, but the story does not end here. A few
days later, James Dykes Campbell invited him to dine at his flat in Albert
Hall Mansions. Browning was the only other guest. After dinner Mr. Wise and
his host sat and smoked, while Browning, who did not smoke, was making a
leisurely tour of the bookshelves of the room. 'I see you have everything
here of mine,' he said to Campbell. 'No,' replied Campbell, 'I still lack
"Pauline".' 'Oh, that gap can soon be filled!' exclaimed Browning. 'The
other morning I came across two copies of it. One of them will be sent to
you tomorrow'.

"Here again was a god-sent chance for Mr. Wise to ask for the other. But
again he let it slip. Next day, after much wrestling of spirit, he took Dr.
Furnivall's advice and wrote to Robert Browning. But he was too late.
Browning had already decided to give the other copy to his son."

Mr. Wise did eventually get his copy of Pauline after a long hunt, and for
a considerable price. Browning inscribed it for him- "I see with much
interest this little book, the original publication of which can hardly
have cost more than has been expended on a single copy by its munificent
Proprietor and my friend -Mr. Wise".

And so Wise reprinted the poem. While having an original 1833 edition of
your very own might be more satisfying it will cost you a lot of money; and
so for considerably less there is this Wise edition, which has the added
value of the various associations between Browning and Wise -it's almost
more fun than an original!  O.K., almost...

Hardcover.  5"x8", 71 pages, original gray boards with a paper spine label;
label rubbed, top 1" of spine covering lacking; tips bumped. $200.00

Illustration-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images03/th-05344.jpg>

Post Office Box 516, Concord, Massachusetts 01742 USA
telephone (617) 492-5367

--> Subscribe to our free email News List and get special
      discounts and offers on selected books!

--> Our full-service website features 86 separate subject
      categories, and has full search capabilities.
<http://www.joslinhall.com>

--> Visit our new BARGAIN BIN pages for a selection
      of good, inexpensive books for your bookshelf!
<http://www.joslinhall.com/special-1.htm>

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for the
first book, and $1.50 for each additional book. Shipments outside the U.S.
will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within ten
days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.