[Rarebooks] fs: Controversial work on Oracles; nice 1831 prtg.

Joslin Hall Rare Books office at joslinhall.com
Tue Jun 28 06:29:28 EDT 2005

Fontenelle, M. de [Bernard Le Bovier)  LA STORIA DEGLI ORACOLI. Opere del
Signor Bern. di Fontenelle.

Naples; R. Marotta e Vanspandoch: 1831.

A charming near-miniature printing of a work on oracles by the important
French writer and philosopher Bernard de Fontenelle (1657-1757). Educated
at the Jesuit college of Rouen, a forerunner of Diderot and Voltaire,
Fontenelle was blocked in his first four attempts to enter the French
Academy by Racine and Boileau, before finally being elected in 1691.

This controversial book on oracles was first published in 1687. In it
Fontenelle declares in a pair of essays that oracles were not the
supernatural product of demons and that further, they did not end with the
birth of Jesus but rather continued into the early years of the Christian
church. The Jesuits quickly published a rebuttal of these views of their
former student, to which Fontenelle did not respond. This charming early
19th century edition includes a preface giving a history of the controversy.

Hardcover.  2.25"x3.5", 304 pages. Bound in period quarter calf with gilt
spine rules and title, small gilt spine medallions.  Marbled boards. A very
nice copy with just a little light rubbing to the covers, a little minor
browning and a few faint spots. Old, faint ink inscription along the gutter
of the title page.

<http://www.joslinhall.com/images/th-00453.gif>

Has Been $275.00
OUR FORWARD-LOOKING YET TODAY-ONLY
SPECIAL PRICE $200.00 net

Post Office Box 516, Concord, Massachusetts 01742 USA
telephone (978) 371-3101

--> Subscribe to our free email News List and get special
      discounts and offers on selected books!

--> Our full-service website features 86 separate subject
      categories, and has full search capabilities.
<http://www.joslinhall.com>

--> Visit our new BARGAIN BIN pages for a selection
      of good, inexpensive books for your bookshelf!
<http://www.joslinhall.com/special-1.htm>

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for the
first book, and $1.50 for each additional book. Shipments outside the U.S.
will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within ten
days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.