[Rarebooks] fs: Pugin Lays Blame, Broadly (1837)

Joslin Hall Rare Books office at joslinhall.com
Wed Mar 30 18:20:44 EST 2005

        "Pugin, a convert to Catholicism,
         blamed Protestants for the degradation
         of architecture, and in the second edition
         he broadened his scope and simply
         blamed the entire Renaissance."

AN APOLOGY FOR A WORK ENTITLED "CONTRASTS;" being A Defence of the
Assertions advanced in that publication, against the various attacks lately
made upon it. By A. Welby Pugin, author of the book in question.

Birmingham; printed for the author: 1837.

A rather scarce reply to critics of Pugin's blockbuster panegyric,
"Contrasts", published in 1836 and again, substantially revised, in 1841.
"Contrasts, A Parallel between the Noble Edifices of the 14th and 15th
centuries and Similar buildings of the Present Day. Showing a Decay of
Taste" blew the lid off the staid early Victorian architectural and
antiquarian world when it was first published. Pugin had not even been able
to find a publisher willing to handle the volume, and had printed it at his
own expense (as appears to also have been the case with this pamphlet).

As H.R. Hitchcock notes in his reprint of the second edition of "Contrasts"-

     "The archeological study of the Gothic of the Middle Ages by English
scholars over the preceding twenty years provided the background for
Pugin's familiarity with and enthusiasm for the 'noble edifices' of the
mediaeval, Catholic past which he believed his contemporaries should
emulate. Yet 'Contrasts' is neither an archeological treatise nor a
collection of models for direct emulation. It is a polemical work whose
motivation was almost as much religious, and even social, as architectural.
Pugin held that the high quality of mediaeval building was later lost since
'heresy had destroyed faith'."

The basic difference between the two editions was that in the first
edition, Pugin, a convert to Catholicism, blamed Protestants for the
degradation of architecture, and in the second edition he broadened his
scope and simply blamed the entire Renaissance. All of which makes Pugin
sound like just a bit of a crank...

Well, perhaps just a bit, but he was also one of the most influential
designers of the entire Victorian period, and an amazing and indefatigable
personality whose depths and influence we can only begin to hint at in this
limited space. Augustus Welby Pugin was the son of Auguste Pugin, a French
architect who had fled France during the Revolution and worked as chief
draughtsman for John Nash. Augustus grew up helping his father create
meticulous drawings of Gothic ornament and architecture, and at the age of
just 19 was commissioned to design furniture for Windsor Castle. He was
soon in business for himself, and when he was 25 he published the amazing
and controversial "Contrasts". Over the next decade he published several
more influential books and cemented the importance of the entire Gothic
Revival in England.

At 39 he was working on the Medieval Court for the Crystal Palace
Exhibition when he suffered a breakdown from exhaustion and died in
September, 1852 at the age of 40. But he packed a lot into those 40 years,
and always fought for what he so deeply believed. Pugin ends this "Apology"
by declaring-

     "In conclusion, although I am well aware that the principles I have
advanced are alike opposed to the prejudices, interests, and vanity of this
age, and therefore are likely to meet with every opposition which these
powerful motives can incite, yet, as I have the satisfaction of knowing
that they are based on the solid foundation of truth, I feel confident
that, sooner or later, their justice will be acknowledged; and, in the
meantime, I am perfectly ready to defend them against all attacks, whether
proceeding from Churchman, Architect, or Painter".

Scarce- OCLC only locates 3 copies. Original plain grey-brown wrappers.
4.25"x7.25", 49 pages; cover with some soil and wear, two tiny pinholes in
the cover, spine partially perished, tips thumbed, etc.; light internal
soil and spotting; "A.W. Pugin" written in the center of the front cover in
pencil and "J.A. Millward" in pen in the upper right corner. Although
somewhat worn, it is nice to find a copy of this very fragile piece in any
condition, to say nothing of its original state. [05591] $875.00

Picture-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images03/th-05591.jpg>

Post Office Box 516, Concord, Massachusetts 01742 USA
telephone (617) 492-5367

--> Subscribe to our free email News List and get special
      discounts and offers on selected books!

--> Our full-service website features 86 separate subject
      categories, and has full search capabilities.
<http://www.joslinhall.com>

--> Visit our new BARGAIN BIN pages for a selection
      of good, inexpensive books for your bookshelf!
<http://www.joslinhall.com/special-1.htm>

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for the
first book, and $1.50 for each additional book. Shipments outside the U.S.
will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within ten
days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.