[Rarebooks] FS: Helen Keller inscribed to Eleanor & Franklin Roosevelt, "a new hope for democracy"

Charles Agvent agvent at erols.com
Mon May 2 10:33:44 EDT 2005

One of many fine Spring New Arrivals posted on our web site
http://www.erols.com/agvent

[ROOSEVELT,  Eleanor and Franklin D.] KELLER, Helen. LET US  HAVE
FAITH   Inscribed  to  Franklin  and   Eleanor  Roosevelt.  New  York:
Doubleday,  Doran  &  Co.,  Inc. 1940. First  Edition.  An  absolutely
sensational  association  copy  connecting two of the  most  important
women  of the twentieth century as well as arguably the most important
President  of  the  time. INSCRIBED and SIGNED by the  author  on  the
front  free  endpaper in pencil, as Keller always used: "To  President
and  Mrs.  Roosevelt/whose  sublime  faith  in  the/People  is  a  new
hope/for  Democracy./Affectionately/Helen Keller/November 23rd  1940."
Franklin  Roosevelt  had been elected to a third term less than  three
weeks  before  this  inscription.  In February  of  1933  just  before
Roosevelt  was  to be inaugurated for his first term,  Keller  wrote a
letter  to  Eleanor that began: "We have met only twice for a  moment,
but  I have been drawn to you by your earnest, constructive efforts in
behalf  of the unprivileged [sic], and since Election Day I have  felt
the  bond of sympathy grow stronger and stronger between us. I  cannot
tell  you  with  what  pride and satisfaction  I  have  followed  your
courageous  activities."  In 1965, Keller and Roosevelt were among  20
elected  to  the  Women's Hall of Fame at the New York  World's  Fair,
both  receiving  the most votes among the 100 nominees.  With  Eleanor
Roosevelt's  bookplate  on  the front pastedown and  a  small  Eleanor
Roosevelt  estate  sticker numbered 463 above it. Very Good in a  Good
dustwrapper. Extraordinary copy!                            $25,000.00

--

All books subject to prior sale.  Cash with order; institutions may be billed.
Postage additional:  $7.00 for the first book, $3.50 each thereafter.  Overseas

Mertztown, PA  19539-8750
Voice/Fax: 610-682-4750
agvent at erols.com
Visit our home page:  http://www.erols.com/agvent