[Rarebooks] fs: Natural History of Monks -1852

Joslin Hall Rare Books, ABAA office at joslinhall.com
Tue Nov 15 17:32:52 EST 2005

MONACHOLOGIA: or, Handbook of the Natural History of Monks;
arranged according to the Linnaean System. By a Naturalist.

Ignaz Edler von Born.
Edinburgh; Johnstone and Hunter: 1852.

A satire by a scientist and former Jesuit, first published in 1783.
Born (1742-1791) was Austrian by birth and educated at a Jesuit
college in Vienna. He spent 16 months as a member of the order
before leaving, eventually becoming a Freemason. Restless after
leaving the Jesuits he studied law for a time in Prague and then
toured Holland, France and Germany studying mineralogy.

He returned to Prague in 1770, and worked in the department of
Mines and the Mint. In 1776 he returned to Austria and wrote
several books on mineralogy, including a very influential study in
1786 dealing with extracting precious metals through amalgamation.
In addition to his scientific work, Born was known for his satire,
especially of the Jesuits. In this work he studies the habits and
habitats of that most pernicious of species -the clerical Monk,
in a clever send-up of the new Linnaean system.

Hardcover. 6"x9", 77 pages, lithographed pictorial title page and
4 lithographed plates showing distinguishing characteristics of
monks, plus 14 sepia plates of various types of monks in their
natural habitats. Original gilt-pictorial cloth with a gilt-stamped
bat holding the title in a banner; rebacked, with new endpapers
and a new spine which matches the original red cloth. [03639]

   $250.00

Pictures- <http://www.joslinhall.com/images/th-03639.jpg>

Other odd satirical or humorous books->
<http://www.joslinhall.com/humor.htm>

--> Subscribe to our free email News List and get special
      discounts and offers on selected books!

--> See our new "Just Catalogued" pages for November
<http://www.joslinhall.com/justcat.htm>

--> Our full-service website features 86 separate subject
      categories, and has full search capabilities.

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for the
first book, and $1.50 for each additional book. Shipments outside the U.S.
will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within ten
days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.