[Rarebooks] FS: Fine Robert Frost letter to his lecture agent

Charles Agvent agvent at erols.com
Sun Nov 27 12:24:28 EST 2005

FROST, Robert AUTOGRAPH LETTER SIGNED
South Shaftsbury, VT 28 Sept. 1930 On both sides of a 6-3/4" by 5" sheet of
white paper to Theodore Fisher, Frost's one and only lecture agent. In full:
"Dear Mr. Fisher: When you first wrote my proposal for a tour in 1932 looked too
far off to be taken seriously. So I gave up all idea of the boast for the time
being and let myself in for a number of things that I don't see how I can get
out of now. I'm not free till October 1932 and I suppose there would be no sense
in looking for pleasure out there in the early winter. I should want to show my
native state to my wife at it's best. [Frost was born in San Francisco.] I have
made no engagements for October November December of 1932 nor January February
March of 1933. But 1933 begins to sound too ridiculously far away again. I guess
you had better give me up as unamenable. I'm sorry. It's too bad we can't get
together on what we both would like. You see the trouble with me is I take
engagements in lumps (like the course I'm giving at the New School of Social
Research and like my three months a year at Amherst College) and these seem to
take shape a good way ahead. Thanks just the same for your interest." SIGNED
"Sincerely yours Robert Frost." Unpublished and likely unique as we were unable
to find any other letter to Fisher, though a letter mentioning Fisher to Louis
Untermeyer dated almost exactly a year after this is found in THE SELECTED
LETTERS OF ROBERT FROST. One sentence from that letter is revealing: "If I have
to make a really western tour, someone will have to recommend a better agent
than that man." Fine and scarce.    $5,000.00
--

All books subject to prior sale.  Cash with order; institutions may be billed.
Postage additional:  $7.00 for the first book, $3.50 each thereafter.  Overseas

Mertztown, PA  19539-8750
Voice/Fax: 610-682-4750
agvent at erols.com
Visit our home page:  http://www.erols.com/agvent