[Rarebooks] FS: G.B. Shaw Archive of 7 items for EVERYBODY'S POLITICAL WHAT'S WHAT?: "my professional name is Bernard Shaw without the George, which I loathe."

Charles Agvent agvent at erols.com
Mon Oct 17 09:10:11 EDT 2005

SHAW,  George  Bernard.   EVERYBODY'S  POLITICAL  WHAT'S   WHAT?
Manuscript  Page, Page Proofs and 3 AUTOGRAPH LETTERS SIGNED (ALSs) by
SHAW.  London:  Constable  and  Company  Ltd.  1943  and  1944.  First
Edition.  Laurence  A246  for the printed book. This  collection,  all
housed  in a green cloth chemise within a half green morocco  slipcase
gilt-lettered  on  the spine and front cover, consists of seven  items
related  to the book: a single page typed Manuscript Revised  Contents
Table  dated  21 August 1943 with several corrections in  Shaw's  hand
numbering  about 30 words; three examples of proof pages for the title
page  with  simple  corrections by Shaw including the  elimination  of
"Machiavelli  Modernized"  from the title (noted by Laurence as  being
eliminated  by  Shaw  in the final page-proof);  and  three  AUTOGRAPH
LETTERS  SIGNED by Shaw with his initials (two on postcards and one on
both  sides  of  a  small  sheet of paper),  one  letter  in  Pitman's
Shorthand  (with  a typed transcript), all to John  Wardrop  regarding
proofs  and  the index for the book as well as Shaw's wife's  illness.
Some  excerpts:  "I always sign G. Bernard Shaw, and  my  professional
name  is  Bernard  Shaw  without the George, which I  loathe."  "I  am
putting  the  book together fast, and hope soon to send you the  final
revise  in  chapters and indexable. It has been a devil of a job,  and
has  cost me a play or two or perhaps three." "At your age I undertook
an  index  to  the works of Thomas Lodge for an  Elizabethan  Society.
Being  inexperienced  and conscientious I did not know when to  stop."
Though  there  is no evidence of ownership, these items came from  the
collection  of  Harold  Ackert.  Very  Good to  Near  Fine  in  custom
slipcase.                                                     $6500.00

--

All books subject to prior sale.  Cash with order; institutions may be billed.
Postage additional:  $10.00.  Overseas postage billed at approximate cost.

Mertztown, PA  19539-8750
Voice/Fax: 610-682-4750
agvent at erols.com
Visit our home page:  http://www.erols.com/agvent