[Rarebooks] fs: Just Catalogued- 1870 Rouen Faience

Joslin Hall Rare Books office at joslinhall.com
Tue Oct 18 07:51:38 EDT 2005

 From our "Just Catalogued" pages->
<http://www.joslinhall.com/justcat.htm>

Pottier, Andre. HISTOIRE DE LA FAIENCE DE ROUEN. Rouen; Auguste le Brument:
1870.

Solon notes-

"Few are the ceramic monographs which may rank on par with Pottier's
'History of the Rouen Faience'; it has never been excelled, perhaps never
been equaled, by any other work of the same order. A masterly treatment, on
the part of the historian, has rendered full justice to an important
chapter of the ceramic history".

Andre Pottier was the librarian of Rouen, which gave him the opportunity to
research the history of his city in great depth, and as the grandson of a
noted faience manufacturer, he gravitated toward the history of the city's
potters. Solon continues-

"While the finest productions of the departed [ceramic] art were
disregarded by all, he was able to form of them a considerable and selected
collection, such as it would have been impossible to form in after times.
As to the knowledge that Pottier had managed to acquire, through his
unremitting researches, of the conditions under which the manufacturer of
painted faience was carried on two hundred years before, one might question
whether any of the masters of the best period had ever been so thoroughly
acquainted with the subject. His thoughts were constantly busy with the
preparation of the book that was to be the 'magnum opus' of his life. Never
satisfied with the documents he had already accumulated, he went on
gathering and sifting fresh crops of materials towards the completion of
his work.

"When death surprised him, he was still uncertain whether the task he had
undertaken could be said to be at an end. In fact, were it not for the
devotion that his friends bore to his memory, his disordered mss. would
have remained unpublished and we should have been deprived of a monograph
that no one else could have written with such commanding authority. ...
Pottier's own collection -which became the nucleus of the Rouen Ceramic
Museum- illustrated nearly all the periods of manufacture. Nevertheless,
far from confining his selection of representative examples to the objects
in his possession, he preferred to give us the cream of the numerous
collections that were placed at his disposal. His talented daughter was to
him an invaluable collaborator; she reproduced in water colour all the more
remarkable examples, as they passed through their hands, and it was her
portfolio which supplied the excellent illustrations of the book".

Hardcover. 10"x12.5", xii + 420 + [iv] pages, plus 60 colored plates; line
figures in the text; ex-Boston Museum of Fine Arts library with several
small stamps, a bookplate, a perforation on the title page and a small
discoloration on the spine where a label was removed; bound in a
magnificent custom binding, full parchment with hand-lettered titles and
decorations- a small coat of arms on the front cover, a floral emblem on
the spine and a polychromed jug on the rear cover. Binding with some soil,
several very small punctures on the spine; contents with a little soil a
little wear overall, but a very nice, beautifully bound copy. [08055]
$1,200.00

Pictures->
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images08/th-08055.jpg>

There are over 100 other newly catalogued books on ceramics, glass, silver,
art, and other related subjects on our "Just Catalogued" pages->
<http://www.joslinhall.com/justcat.htm>

--> Subscribe to our free email News List and get special
      discounts and offers on selected books!

--> Our full-service website features 86 separate subject
      categories, and has full search capabilities.
<http://www.joslinhall.com>

--> Visit our new BARGAIN BIN pages for a selection
      of good, inexpensive books for your bookshelf!
<http://www.joslinhall.com/special-1.htm>

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for the
first book, and $1.50 for each additional book. Shipments outside the U.S.
will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within ten
days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.